Bliss! - 95%

MutatisMutandis, April 25th, 2007

It's no secret that I'm a huge fan of Regurgitate, and I can't even estimate how many times the albums Carniverous Erection, Effortless Regurgitation Of Bright Red Blood, their splits and demos have hit my ears since my initial exposure.

2004 marked a big change in the band's overall sound, though, as they completely overthrew their Goregrind roots in favor of a more standard, old school grindcore approach. Gone was the sloppiness and sewage gargling pitch shifter, but the album, even though initially disappointing, was pretty damn good, as the band proved that they were just as competent at emulating the genre's other branches as they were at writing sickeningly splatter-laden goregrind.

Another two years later, Regurgitate are back, and have once again changed their style. Sickening Bliss is a farily even mix of the raw slop of their legendary debut and the classic grind revival and creatively textured drumming of Deviant. So how does it hold up? Pretty well, actually. I mean c'mon. It's Regurgitate. I'd have one hell of a hard time admitting my favorite Goregrind band of all time fucked up, even if it was the worst blunder in the history of music. Seriously though, this is a great album, packed with punchy, meaty riffing, tons of powerful hooks, and just the necessary amount of Crust to keep things interesting and energetic throughout. Tracks like Defile, (We Are) Sadistic Hateful Scum, Tenderizing The Malformed, Worm Eater, Putrid Serenity and Cocoon Of Filth thump their veritable chests right alongside the early classics, and if anything, this album is a perfect way to reinvigorate the interest of those who got lost around the time Deviant made it's appearance.

If you're an established Regurgitate-fanboy, you'll be gurgling along to the album in no time, fistful of your own chesthair in hand or not, and if you're a newcomer to the scene, this album is the perfect introduction. I actually have to thank Relapse for once, as by censoring the artwork tastefully, this album has been popping up in record stores all over the place, finally getting these guys the widescale exposure they deserve. "Word", and an upstanding "Ha, fuck you!" to everyone who doubted these Swedish madmen.