Cult - part II - 96%

Felix 1666, December 15th, 2014
Written based on this version: 2011, CD, Hells Headbangers Records

After their already outstanding debut, this infernal Greek legion returns with a vengeance. The second full-length of the three-piece marks a further milestone for the busy Hellenic scene. Ravencult is still bursting with energy and the group apparently loves the power of musical violence. The band members did not see the necessity to change their style significantly. This means that they deliver once again an explosive charge of raging black thrash metal. One can discuss whether the thrash elements have slightly increased, but this would be just an academic debate that nobody really needs. The crucial thing is that the level of aggression has not decreased. Rather, the opposite is the case. I do not know many albums that reach a comparable level.

Ravencult´s sound is characterised by the flattening riffs which are sharp as a scalpel and hard as a diamond at once. But it´s not easy to define the most outstanding feature of this record. The brutal guitar lines and the drumming give you the ultimate kick as well. The man with the demolition hammer, oops, I wanted to say: the man behind the drums appears like a hyperactive child. I want to know how many drums died a sudden death during the recording of this album... Due to his rabid way of playing, it´s all the more admirable that he does not miss a beat. However, while heralding the acoustic apocalypse, the band draws also attention to comprehensible song structures. The guys have a keen sense for the right amount of breaks. The tunes are neither primitive nor overloaded. It sounds corny, but the band unleashes a real inferno, at least during the numerous hyper-speed parts. The dense and full sound fits perfectly to the compositional approach. Each and every instrument (and this goes for the vocals, too) is well produced by the band itself. But especially the bone-dry guitar sound releases the destructive power of the exciting subgenre while also offering a tiny number of punk influences.

Epic elements rarely appeared on the debut. Now they are banished. The band reaches the stage of the ultimate black thrash ecstacy. The musicians avoid childish black´n roll parts as well as egocentric solos. Without following traditional song patterns, the tunes are coherent and perfectly performed. The dominating aura of destruction is omnipresent from start to finish. Honestly, the guitars and the drums resemble a well-oiled war machine. The raw vocals emphasize the martial atmosphere because of their hateful and misanthropic appearance. From my point of view, the combination of blistering pace and absolute darkness marks the outstanding feature of this document of devastation. The band does not need slow atmospheric parts to express a certain mood. The all-consuming maelstrom is created only by the sheer brutality of the unstoppable Greeks. (And due to this, I guess that the drummer´s pseudonym "J. Maelstrom" is no coincidence.) Therefore, I apologise for my inability to name my favourite tracks due to the following reasons. Firstly, it does not make sense to list all ten song titles in this review. Secondly, I am just happy that I survived this attack against all that is holy - I feared a collateral damage. Thirdly, I have to end this review to listen again to this album.