Very Impressive - 95%

Thrash_Till_Death, October 15th, 2002

The name Ram-Zet is probably the only bad thing about this band, as it makes them sound kinda cheesy. Aside from the name, this is one great band, who deliver a unique sound in a time where many bands played a oft copied style.

Describing the bands sound is really something you have to do yourself when hearing it. My best description would be melodic black/death, with gothic influences and more. Think like Arcturus in a way. The songs are all long and change pace and direction many times. The singing comes from Zet, who has a black metal scream/shriek, but still manages to sound fairly unique. He does not do all the singing though, as he trades off with female vocals, provided by Sfinx. Not only does the band create an original sound, they also deliver in the lyrics department.

The cd could be considered a concept album, as the entire cd makes up a story. The basic jist of it is a man living in a mental hospital and the nurse he becomes friends with. The cd follows their story, with Zet singing the part of the man and Sfinx singing the nurse's parts. They both want to escape, hence the title of the cd.

Now the songs themselves are all quite an experience to listen to. They tell a story, are all long and change enough so that they don't get boring or tedious. If I went into each song, I would be typing this for a long time, as there is many elements at work in each song. To try and sum each song up is hard, but I will try. Basically they have 50/50 singing between Zet and Sfinx. The is riffs, solos, keyboards, violins, double bass, very noticable bass lines and more. I would say they are like Opeth, Arcturus, Lacuna Coil, to name a few bands, all mixed together. An example is at 3:54 of "Claustrophobic Journey" there is a funky bass line, at the same time as violin. Sounds weird, but it works!

There really isn't much more I can say about this cd, aside that its really unique. This is very worth your time and its one of my fave cds from this year.