© 2002-2021

Amazing Blackened industrial - 100%

NucleosIs, September 7th, 2016
Written based on this version: 2016, CD, Sliptrick Records

Project Silence has changed a lot in recent years, from industrial to heavier variants of style, but they have always created interesting music. This is their second full release and this album certainly doesn't fail to interest newcomers and veteran fans alike.

Excellent guitars from Mr. Sanderz and J can be heard throughout the album and it’s very consistent with catchy, heavy, and melodic riffs. From the chugs of "Sick (Slave To The Machine)" to the amazing leads in "Prototype”. Guitarist are definitely doing amazing job here. Keyboards are a major powerhouse on this album with tracks like in very catchy and addicting "The Era Of Fear" and cool, dark electro-like song "Termination In Progress". There is clearly two main styles and themes in Slave To The Machine. Heavy, almost like death/black metal themed songs and then some songs like “Titan” and “Desperation” with energetic and rhythmic riffs, which this style of music is known for.

In many songs band has done nice job creating different kind of structures for songs, like the part at the beginning of “Circus Of Seven”, unexpectedly lead solo starts with pretty nifty rhythm guitars or beautiful ending for the song “Invasion”, everything goes almost silent and only the piano and choirs are playing and BOOM, the main riff comes back and kicks your ass. These kinds of surprises make this album worth to listen.

The drums throughout this album are insane. No, really. Insanity really would be the word for just how technical and heavy-hitting drummer can be in tracks like "Infection" and "Circus Of Seven". Also I definitely have to mention vocal work of Delacroix. His growls are very deep and have a lot of power in them, also higher screams are still present and the vocal range is absolutely awesome. There is new catch here, some clean(ish) vocals with screams like in "Apocalypse" and those are so effective that it makes these songs become instant favourites. Last but not least, I have to say that bass is really prominent and I like it, it is crunchy and it powers up the guitars.

Project Silence has done good job creating unique music with lots of variations. All in all, this album really is one of a kind. If band can go forward, this is it and I really can't wait what greatness future holds for Project Silence.
Favourite tracks: Infection, The Era Of Fear, Apocalypse and The Nameless

Project Silence delivers - 90%

DiSoRdErBitcH, August 16th, 2016

Founded in 2008 by frontman Delacroix, Finnish industrial metal promise Project Silence are certainly the most impressive band for this style from Finland. Their second release released June 30, 2016 surely impresses.

As is to be expected the soundscape is cold, futuristic but still somehow it has this warmth which is not expected in this kind of style. The album is full of dynamic guitar-work that efforts like Flesh Of The God and The Era Of Fear generate a successful "end of the world" like feeling that truly sounds as massive as possible. Even without that present there’s some absolutely killer work here as the band can drop the industrial and present more traditional arrangements as in Titan and Apocalypse, with tight old school rhythms and mad screaming. Their new direction reminds me of Fear Factory or Lyfthrasyr with a mix of older Samael and ...and Oceans.

Slave To The Machine is a pretty long listen, but since there is lot of variety and songs are really dynamic, you quickly have listened the whole album in one sitting. One big surprise in the end was the bonus song Termination In Progress, it was refreshing and really different than rest of the songs, a very engrossing track that really makes the release a wholly ferocious and devastating effort.

Some might find fault with the band's cold sound and very different approach than previous releases, but this is still an almost flawless release and if you forget they were more electronic before and listen to this as a death/black metal release with industrial influences it definitely delivers.

On the whole this is very different kind of release than their previous work, but that really put the band up and moves them forward. It really should be picked up by anyone into the genre.

Binds all of life into a hollow shell. - 55%

Diamhea, August 16th, 2016

Facing the prospect of reviewing Slave to the Machine properly, I went back and checked out 424, which I reviewed last year but totally forgot about since it left such little impact on me. Honestly, quite a bit has changed in this band's camp since then, and it appears that they are trying to craft some nefarious blackened industrial monolith with the electronic trappings serving as mere window dressing, albeit utilized in a competently atmospheric way. The licks are dark and venomous, lacing Slave to the Machine with sorely needed muscle, since this band's core sound falls closer to something like Deathstars as opposed to Shade Empire, Gloria Morti and the like; although they certainly draw influence from those avenues too.

I guess the biggest beef I have with this record is that it is a monochrome exercise in dark industrial aesthetics with fuck all else going for it. The production is beefed up and the bass is prominent, clanging and banging on an equal level with the guitars, but the scarcity of the synths leaves the rest of the band out in the cold. The vocalist croaks and yowls his way through a Vesania-esque performance; monotone and yawn inducing on its own. The band sounds like they are trying an approach similar to Fear of Domination on songs like "Circus of Seven," but it lacks purpose. The faster and more urgent-sounding tunes like "The Era of Fear" sound like they might go somewhere at first, but the band quickly devolves into mere genre posturing. Props for that killer bass tone, but that's about all I've got.

The formula here is rather predictable and trite. Examples like "Prototype" and "Titan" both open with interesting synth lines, especially the latter. The band quickly (as in like ten seconds) tosses these sections away in favor of stale riffing patterns that sputter all over the place along with that annoying vocal stuttering effect. Sometimes it approaches God the Lux-era Vesania, and these are naturally some of the best moments. Elsewhere, more wasted potential arrives with the instrumental "Abyss." A total waste of keyboard masturbation, a better choice would have been a somber and ichor-laced tune like Shade Empire's "Ravine."

Slave to the Machine doesn't suck outright, but it is a huge bore and step down from 424. Project Silence feel like they are trapped between two sounds, bridged over a stylistic gap and losing their grip quickly. There are only a handful of memorable riffs throughout the entire fifteen-song affair. The closer "Invasion" is actually the best tune here, but "Titan" and "Prototype" have their moments as well. I wasn't totally sold on the debut either, so if you enjoyed that you should still check this one out. Also notice that nearly all of the bands I have mentioned in this review are from Finland.

Promo courtesy of The Metal Observer

Solid album from Project Silence - 99%

metapostman, July 27th, 2016
Written based on this version: 2016, CD, Sliptrick Records

Couple years ago I found this weird band from Finland, it was Project Silence, usually I am not into industrial metal, but I like dark electro and other similar genres a lot so I decided to give them a listen. Their first album was great mix of dark electro and metal, but something was missing so I waited a while and here is their second album.

The very first thing that I noticed in was that they're obviously very technical. Riffs are tight and most of the time synths are on the background, I wish those would be louder. The vocals are exceptionally good, they are pretty diverse with dark low growls and sometimes really high screams, this is just candy to for ears. He sounds a little like Mikael Stanne of Dark Tranquillity and Christian Älvestam. As I mentioned something that's a bit lacking are the keyboards. Don't get me wrong, synths are great sounding and there is lots of hook in them, but you really can't hear those so well. Of course there is places where synths are the main thing (Like in The Era of Fear or Apocalypse) but I just wish there were more of those.

Slave to the Machine has a lot of great riffs and guitar work, of course some songs stand out more than others do, one of those being Infection. Song is balanced very well and has really cool rhythmic guitars and bass drums. The leads on the keyboard really give it a very atmospheric feel and the vocals are versatile and keeps the track very interesting from the start to finish. Having said that though, the best track is quite hard to pick, but I must say it is Sick (Slave To The Machine). The industrial sound is is in use quite heavily throughout that track, it is heavy, groovy and definitely catchy. It's a surprising mix, but it works very, very well.

Slave to the Machine really is an extremely solid album by a band that quite clearly has moved forward and they have a lot of potential. Some might be put off by the industrial influences, but Project Silence's sound is very unique with the industrial/black metal mix. I would recommend this to anyone that likes simply extreme metal.