© 2002-2021

Summoning two different BM bands - 83%

Pestbesmittad, December 31st, 2009

Inquisition: 87%

This is the first pure black metal release for Inquisition, both musically and vocally, as the preceding EP and demo were more thrash oriented. The thrashy vocals have changed into high-pitched black metal screams (with the exception of some growls on “Whispering in Tears of Blood” and some clean chanting vocals on “Incense of Rest”). The vocals are not yet of the monotonous type the band has become known for on latter releases though, just usual (but good) black metal vocals. The metal tracks on this release have quite a start/stop structure, they alternate between hysterical blasting parts that sometimes seem to come out of nowhere and slow parts with heavy riffing.

With the arrangements being as schizophrenic as they are, I found it a bit hard to get into this stuff at first. The stuff on the full-lengths may be more coherent when it comes to the music but that just makes this stuff crazier and more unique and it has a place in Inquisition’s discography as a phase between the past and the present. Also the intensity level is extremely high here, as if the band really wanted to make their mark in the BM scene. Tracks like “Whispering in Tears of Blood” and the title track are the worst offenders in the start/stop department. Both the fast and slow parts in these tracks start and end very abruptly, the changes between the different parts of the song sometimes make you go “WTF?” as you can never predict what’s about to happen next when it comes to the arrangements.

The “Incense of Rest” EP also makes use of keyboards, something the band seems to have skipped on the full-lenghts that have been released until now. The intro and the beginning of “Vision of the Pagan Lord” are where the keyboards are used most notably, otherwise they aren’t used much. They just make the odd appearance, adding a bit of atmosphere to some parts of the tracks. A good example of the “precision keyboards” is “Encounter in the Deep Shadows”, where the keyboards only add a few notes here and there. A couple of keyboard lines can also be found on “Whispering in Tears of Blood”. “Meditacion Before the Kill” is something as strange as an instrumental comprised of acoustic guitar and Carlos Arcila’s beautiful flute melodies. When listening to it, I get visions of summery meadows full of flowers and butterflies in my head. This track isn’t dark or evil in the least, so I wonder what it’s doing here. Ha ha, it will be interesting to see if Inquisition will do more tracks like this in the future. The bonus track “Summoning the Black Dimensions in the Farallones”, recorded after the EP, is in the vein of the EP both soundwise and stylewise.

Profane Creation: 79%

Profane Creation were an unknown entity to me before I heard this split CD. Their black metal is mostly slow and quite simple yet with an obscure touch, often reminding me of early Samael. The different aspect to Samael is that Profane Creation occasionally use simple guitar melodies in their music. Usually during these parts one guitar plays the melody and the other plays the riff. At times the music speeds up to mid-tempo but there are no fast parts at all. I like the vocals of Ciro Voohers. When spewing forth his hatred, he sounds a lot like Vorphalack during Samael’s early days. Mr Voohers doesn’t do only black metal screams though, he also employs whispers and even some growls.

Since all the Profane Creation tracks are on the same track on the CD, I’m not sure whether I’ve been able to separate them correctly when reviewing. However, I think that the short passages with synths and whispering vocals that occur every now and then indicate a change of track (and change of part during “The Rebellion”), so this is the method I’ve used. Profane Creation’s part starts with an obscure ritualistic synth intro that includes whispering vocals. Then “Nema” kicks in with the slow black metal. “Cross of the Deads” sounds like it could be on “Worship Him” but this track also has a bit of synth and simple guitar melodies added. “Angel’s Tears” (if I’m right concerning the tracklisting) is the track with the most guitar melodies, on this track there are parts where both guitars play melodies at the same time. Despite the use of guitar melodies Profane Creation’s music always retains a rather primitive overall feel. They aren’t the most revolutionary band ever but a good listen nonetheless if you crave some slow black metal.