© 2002-2021

Raw, blasphemous, and deranged! - 87%

GrimAndFrostbitten, July 22nd, 2003

The fact that Profanatica posed completely nude, covered with blood and corpse paint on one of their albums, struck me as so bold and blasphemous that, intrigued, I scoured the ends of the earth to obtain their music. When I finally found it, I got what I expected -- a rather good black metal band inspired by Hellhammer and Bathory. However, it's not cold, it's not grim, it's not pagan, it's not really evil -- it's just raw, blasphemous, nihilistic, and deranged, and has a feeling of its own that really stands out. It's also completely uninhibited in its heresy, and is not bound to any scene or ideals, making it great fun to listen to.

The majority of the album consists of very primitive-sounding drumming, full of blastbeats, plenty of evil tremolo guitar riffs, ultra-deep bass tones, combining for an absolute frenzy of white noise. However, it actually does have some short, but raging solos on occasion, particularly in "Final Hour of Christ" and "Weeping in Heaven (track #5 version)" -- a nice touch to the usual subconscious drilling made by black metal bands.

Lyrically, it's incomprehensible most of the time due to the white noise vocals, with song titles being the only clue to anything, but what you can make out just spits in the face of God -- in raw and guttural vocals: "I vomit on God's child!" out of nowhere in "Weeping in Heaven (track #10), or "I deny the virgin Mary: CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNT!!" and especially "SODOMY... (IS BROUGHT UPON?)... THE NUN'S... ROTTING... ASSSHOLE!" both of which are in "I Arose." I found myself rewinding it just to hear these hilarious and sacreligious lines again and again.

Production-wise, most of it sounds like it was recorded on a boombox or worse, for a great effect that sounds very bestial and unrefined. It just wouldn't sound as great if it ever were cleaned up.

If you can find this, get it!