Irish Perfection - 99%

darkoblivion, August 13th, 2005

This was the first Primordial album I heard (and first of the kind too) so I was amazed for having enjoyed it so much. It really doesn’t tire you; on the other hand it can only inspire you.
Primordial are an Irish act, with great musicians and fabulous lyricist and vocalist Alan A. Nemtheanga. The riffs are abundant and strong, as well as the drumming. Alan is such a great interpreter, as is voice sounds different from song to song, ranging lots of emotions, from anger to grief, from sadness to malevolent sounds
Analysing track by track (it only has seven tracks, but the high quality makes for it):

The Golden Spiral: This song has clearly one of the best intros in this album. Alan’s vocals are harsh in this one, but not as rough as in Tragedy’s Birth, though sometimes he sounds malevolent. The guitars sound almost hypnotical in this track, as does the drumming also in the end of the track.
The Gathering Wilderness: The intro has some chanting, and then the guitars enter solidly. Alan starts out saddened, but rapidly he changes his mood to a more rabid one. The voice swings are the strongest point in this song, as I view it. But the guitars and drums didn’t sound as good here as in other tracks, so Alan’s work was kind of put down.
The Song of the Tomb: This is one of the best of the album. It has a powerful intro. Alan’s chanting is a mix of anger and sadness. We have some acoustic guitar in the middle of the song, accompanied by some spoken words, and then it starts a build up of guitars and drums, that really is epic, and goes on to the end.
End of All Times: One of the two best songs of the album, maybe the best (only track 3 stands really near). It starts out with an awesome intro. Alan accomplishes another very emotional interpretation, with is versatile voice showing suffering. Epic riffs and drums are present among the entire track. No one who really cares about music can hear to this and maintain apathy. The last 2 minutes are among my favourite moments of the entire album, highlighting the last minute of them, with really epic strong drumming.
The Coffin Ships: This song has a very long intro (more than two and a half minutes), not as good as the previous songs, but Alan’s interpretation is just fabulous, the more emphatically felt by him, as the lyrics refer to the 4 year famine that ravaged Eire in the 19th century. The ending is a melancholic, yet short, violin play.
Tragedy’s Birth: This song has an acoustic guitar intro that almost sounds Mediterranean, but the sound quickly roughens up, with the drums and heavy guitars showing up (and keeping present until the track ends). Alan’s vocals are quite rougher here than in the previous two songs, this time showing anger. The song has strength, without any doubt, and is among the best of the album, by my view.
Cities Carved in Stone: This one starts out sounding kind of tribal. Then the song really calms down, being in my opinion the weakest track of all, and it denies perfection to the album. Alan’s vocals failed to please me here. The track lacks the emotion of all others, and it really doesn’t seem to fit in.

All in all, an incredibly good epic folk metal album that anyone who loves metal should buy. Or at least listen to.