© 2002-2021

Medium-Rare And Gelded, With Sautéed Onions & Carrots, Please - 62%

CHAIRTHROWER, May 22nd, 2020
Written based on this version: 2019, Digital, Independent (Spotify)

Blast-b(l)eated and crunchy as all Hell is Pit Lord's next-to-(iconoc)last 2019 single uproariously captioned "Goatsmoker"...Well, you know me, I'm invariably down for some roasted sacrifice, from time to time...

Comprised of Ageless/Crater progenitor Lyndon Ehlers and co-Crater-ite Dan Freitag, the Davenport, Illinois duo has been frying its organic farm meat since since 2018, whence the death metal BBQ kings recorded a pair of six-track EPs in Meat Demons and Grilling On Adrenaline. (A minute longer "Grill Marks" single follows this one - perhaps a none-too-basted prelude to Camelsmoker, but I digress).

Now, I'm no D-metal proponent, not by a (n ob)long shot, but notice how "Goatsmoker", in itself, by way of incremental tempering and eventual, sped-up, scratch-sprung acceleration - with, thus far, a short, expert backyard Coleman chef narration - collimates, to a tee, the actual process of lamb-like victual preparation...In any event, the cymbal-ic drum ride and roving, mash and stew kind of grind-age, accompanied by execrable, demon burp-ish male caws, at about 02:00, turn it into haywire, Pantera styled chug-groove which deviates from bizarro track's initial vehement, venomous slant. (Sadly, discount any notion of lead guitar, as there is nary a solo, lamely/tamely so.)

To recant, imagine process of a mogwai transforming, past midnight and after token snack-attack, into munching gremlin ready to annihilate all whilst usurping neighbourhood's outdoor grill fest. It's a caustic and fun, jocosely thought up listen, but I wouldn't go out and waste (food) stamps on its gustative merits...So, for when is the toothsome f/l debut?!