© 2002-2022

A tribute to the Civil War - 70%

TikrasTamsusNaktis, June 20th, 2012

This is a split with the interesting "Atmospheric Pagan black metal" band Peordh and the very strange project called "Honesty." I cannot find any information about this group online.

The Peordh half of the split is in honour of the Civil War fought in the United States in the mid to late 1800's. I found this an interesting theme for the band because it doesn't seem like any band that I know of has covered that war in their lyrics or used it for inspiration. Since Peordh is based in Virginia it would make sense to make a tribute for this time period since Virginia was one of the states that was most greatly affected by that war.

The first track has a very strange name. I do not know what it means haha. It is like an introduction with the sound of something fluttering in the wind. A flag is my guess considering the theme of the album. Then a sound clip from some movie about the civil way I am assuming is played and the sound of a cannon exploding and then the album truly begins. The majority of the music on this album is acoustic. It is quite repetive and strums along with the occasional sound of birds singing. At one point in the album there is a droning electric guitar with some delay on it to being a song. This is the first part of the album with distortion and it plays on for some time and eventually a strange almost whispered voice comes in with delay as well. The vocals are impossible to understand but with the harsh, very grim chords being strummed it sounds very good. The percussion also comes in at this point. It is slow and moves along at a typical slow black metal pace.

The album then seems to keep building and getting faster with some clean choir like make vocals chanting. The last five songs on the album are all named "...And the Redbird comes home to Roost." They are all labelled as either "I, II, III, IV, and V." They make up the bulk of the album for Peordh's part.

Overall, the production on the drumming can be rather poor especially on the snare, which sounds particularly flat but I do not want to take away anything from Dreogan (the artist) because I think he is pretty skilled and a very talented introverted individual.

The Honesty part of the split is quite poor really. It is mostly acoustic songs with very cheesy, poor lyrics. The best part would be the ACOUSTIC guitar work even though it is rather simple at that. I stressed the word acoustic because on some songs this awful grating distorted guitar comes in that does nothing but make the songs sound even worse. They just add noise, and seem totally out of place with the song.

This part of the split seems confused, and really it is not worth much. It is worth getting the split just for the Peordh part because Dreogan is an excellent musician while Honesty leaves a lot to be desired.