Burzum's most prodigious Disciple - 99%

bleaklandscape, February 19th, 2006

You cannot imagine how I'm proud to say that I'm Swiss when I see bands like Paysage d'Hiver. This is in my opinion the most effective Black Metal Band of the beginning of this new century.

Don't think that it's common Black Metal, full of hatred and violence, it's far better and intense than that. This guy knows how mixing Atmospheres with the violence of Black Metal. The track of the overture entitled "Welt aus Eis" (World of Ice) is maybe the best Black Metal song that was ever composed. The using of Keyboard is here really intelligent, like by Burzum's best tracks. You feel that the purpose of the keyboard's using is to intensify the atmosphere without destroying the primal guitar melodies.

Even if there are very few melodies in each song, it's not due to a lack of inspiration from its composer in this case, but more by his will of creating a Hypnotic/Initiatic atmosphere which leads to the harmony/osmose with the nature and Elements, like by shamanic rites.

The sound isn't the one of a great production, but that's not a problem at all, you hear immediately that the music is incredibly good, even perfect. The only thing that costs the point of the 100% is the fact that the level of the sound is not exactly the same on all tracks. However, don't think that this is a bad unprofessional release at all. It's a must for all fans of Black Metal who wants to have the impression of being in the woods/nature or to become a part of the universe. Music is here to escape and discover new dimensions, Paysage d'Hiver succeeds in this purpose with this demo. Congratulations to this One Man Band for this masterpiece.