© 2002-2020

Primitive sample - 56%

gasmask_colostomy, December 2nd, 2015

Until 'Gothic' came out, Paradise Lost were rather a strange entity, who didn't have a very palatable sound and didn't produce much music worthy of attention. The debut album, from which both of the songs on this release originate, was clunky, trudging, and unshapely, though at times the overpowering atmosphere took it to greater heights than the musical merits could alone. The songs were a bit too long and had fairly uniform shapes that included slow doom/death riffs, eerie melodies, beastly vocals, and a few more spirited bursts of speed. What seems strange is that for 'In Dub', the two songs chosen to be redone have both become slightly longer and have lost none of their clunkiness or skewed atmosphere, so that the single is rather pointless if you already have the album. I suppose for those who listened to the single first, it's a good taster for the full-length, since 'Rotting Misery' is an example of the slower, grimmer side of the band and 'Breeding Fear' injects some death metal power into the formula.

Of the two, 'Rotting Misery' is the better composition, with a more absorbing atmosphere and a few flashes of detail from Gregor Mackintosh's raw guitar leads. The slow-motion grind is menacing and, although simple, the dissonant melody that arrives after about two minutes in can send a weird shiver down your spine. 'Breeding Fear' comes off sounding unflatteringly primitive by comparison, as its chuggier guitars grate slightly on the ears due to the unconventional manner in which the distortion was applied (it's a long story, but actually pretty funny). Also, the distinctive female vocals from the latter track's album incarnation are removed here, leaving the song without its most remarkable feature, which would later become a staple of an entire genre. The solo near the end of the song is great though, especially in concert with the oppressive rhythm riff from Aaron Aedy.

'In Dub' is the very definition of inessential, but remains an interesting taste from Paradise Lost's early days, which it is sometimes fun to sample.

In Dub We Trust? - 25%

OzzyApu, December 27th, 2010

“Rotting Misery” and “Breeding Fear” appeared on the debut album. The debut, Lost Paradise, was an ominous doom / death full-length not exactly fitting as a masterpiece, but still intriguing. These two songs now appear on their own single as dub versions that carry their own charm not far away from the originals in terms of heaviness and evil. Kind of makes me wonder why they would bother with something like this in the first place (“shits and giggles” is my assumption).

One problem I have with this single is that it’s too long. Yes, a single with two songs that’s too long, and that’s only because these songs drag on longer than they should. The originals weren’t as bad, but they suffered from the same issue: monotony. Doom / death like this is meant to be around this track length, I understand that, but good god does this get boring fast. Both of these songs play the exact same way: a stampede of charred riffs, tortured screams and demonic growls, pummeling double bass from a beefy kit, and a hefty production job that basks it all in blackness. It’s a great tone to maybe base an album on, but not without some variety or compelling composition.

Both tracks go for a sinister tone protruded by hellish riffs or meandering leads. This is still Paradise Lost before Gothic, so it isn’t like I’m moved by Mackintosh’s playing. The slow to mid-paced tempos are good if they contain interesting segments, but sounding alike or with little diversity means these tracks should have been cut down on time. I’m falling asleep when riffs are being pounded at me, and not even Holmes’ roars do any good waking me up.

Stick to one of the full-lengths, since this is just a speed bump. There’s much more to yearn on albums like Gothic or Icon or hell even the debut. They’re richer releases while this one is sort of a turd on the side of the road. I enjoyed the band’s demos more than this since they were able to stay fresh and exciting – you’ll find none of those traits on here.