Mr. Crowley, Enough Said - 82%

DawnoftheShred, November 15th, 2006

Ozzy's first is often considered his best by many a fanboy, but I can't get behind that theory, primarily because of the sheer epicness of his second album and some of the great material on a few of the later ones. But just because it's not the best doesn't mean it isn't a respectable classic.

As the title suggests, I firmly believe that "Mr. Crowley" justifies the purchase of this album on its own merit. A magnificent organ intro, killer riffing, great vocals and lyrics, and of course, one of heavy metal's most brilliant guitar solo moments all propel this song into the archives of metal greatness. The song continues to haunts me to this day, and I'm sure I've heard it hundreds of times. It's that fucking cool.

Mr. Crowley isn't the only high point here, however. Several metal standards are featured here, such as the quick paced "I Don't Know," the dark "Suicide Solution," and the Sabbath-esque "Steal Away (the Night)." There are more mellow songs as well, such as the well-written ballad "Goodbye to Romance," acoustic instrumental "Dee," and the epic sounding "Revelation (Mother Earth)." Every track is blessed with the phenomenal guitar wizzardry of Randy Rhoads, whose riffs are intricate, his fills plentiful, and his solos godlike. Ozzy has a few memorable moments in the form of melody lines and lyrics, but Randy definitely takes the spotlight here. The synthesizer work is notable as well, especially the "Mr. Crowley" intro and the piano part in "Revelation."

"Crazy Train" is Ozzy's most well known anthem, but aside from the magnificent guitar work, I believe it's wholly overrated. The songs on Blizzard tend to be either undeniable classics or just solid, decent songs. That inconsistency is the reason this album is not rated as high as the later albums.

Rhoad's playing is the reason to own this album. Overall, it's a solid example of 80's metal, despite being somewhat mainstream, and should be a part of just about every metal collection, whether you love Ozzy Osbourne or despise him.