"The Day Came To An End" - 94%

OzzyApu, October 21st, 2006

Prior to this album, Mikael spent time with the boys of Katatonia to record Brave Murder Day. Mikael digged the production so much that he brought along Martin and Pete to the same studio, thus recording My Arms, Your Hearse. The production is somewhat similar to Katatonia's Brave Murder Day, except that the songs aren't repetitive and don’t sound the same.

This was also the first album where Opeth's sound pitched a different direction. Instead of the dreamy, strung-out tracks on Orchid and Morningrise, Opeth grew comfortable as a three-piece (During the recording) and became bent on creating standout tracks. By this I mean that the tracks became familiar to the listener, most notably ones like "When" and "Demon Of The Fall", both of which devotees can easily call back on and cite. This album is also noteworthy because of Martin Lopez's entrance, which he doesn't take easily. Martin uses a unique style South American influenced if I am correct, which isn’t so implemented on this record, but shows itself later on.

The tone of the album really kicks the entire ordeal into gear, being one of my favorites from Opeth. Whenever I listen to My Arms, Your Hearse, I feel things around me becoming cold and the atmosphere turns grim, dark, and haunting; the cover art portrays this pretty well. Mikael's vocals actually become even better here, as he finally utilizes it in a way where he can perform romantic clean singing to full-out demonic roars.
Mikael ended up providing both guitar and bass guitar, both which standout clear in all the riffs and solos he plays. This goes to also say that the riffs, as well as the open production, are the backbone, creating the albums gloom mood and heaviness. A track that represents this feeling extremely well is "April Ethereal", one of my personal favorites. To gain the overall feeling, it’s best if you heard the album at night, during autumn, or when you are sleeping. Believe me, it brings out the best in the album this way.

If any of this doesn't captivate you, then Peter Lindgren's solos definitely will. He may not be the fastest player in the universe this side of the millennium, but that isn't the style he plays anyways. His solos are melodic and crafty, like being able to hit a note and holding it because it is so damn good. Anyways you'll be possessed by his work. There, I've explained in a few paragraphs why this should be in your library. To put it in short if you didn't read any of that...Buy this album.