a formula for excellence! - 100%

Akerthorpe, December 13th, 2015

Hailing from the country of Chile is the band Nuclear and their new album “Formula for Anarchy” is a hardcore tinged thrash fest of madness. This in my introduction to the band and what a fine introduction it is! I was impressed from the beginning, as the band has developed a sound all their own although there are influences abound here. Some are awesomely obvious while others, not so much. In a time when it seems that crossing over and blurring genres seems to be the norm, Nuclear refuse to conform to what’s popular, and would rather stick with the foundations of tradition which make this release a deep punch to the gut of conformity.

Right off the bat you’ll notice the awesome Slayer influence that hold you by the throat in its 2 fisted grasp while the subtle Pro-pain and Sick of it All vibes punish your eardrums into oblivion. All of this is going on while the Exodus influence hit you from the other end knocking you completely senseless! Imagine, if you will, “God Hates Us All” era Slayer combined with “Bonded by Blood” era Exodus and a hardcore type vibe to top things off. That’s what’s going on here. The riffs are traditional thrash-style riffs while the solos will have you thinking that Kerry King himself is sending you into the auditory bliss that this release invokes. The drums are pretty much the typical style that you would find in this genre, but there is an undeniable hardcore feeling and approach to the playing. It seems more angry and aggressive than other bands I’ve heard playing this type of music. The drums aren’t really all that technical but then again they don’t need to be when they are played with such ferocity like they are on this album. The vocals also have that hardcore styling and approach, and it mixes well with what is typical for this genre. The vocals aren’t growled or screamed, but rather “yelled” in anger and persistence as if to say, “You better fucking listen to what I’m saying before I beat it into you!” I must say the vocals on this release are some of my favorite in the genre of thrash metal. The lyrical content is styled, somewhat, like what you will find in Slayer’s and Exodus’ latter releases, but there is also a pinch of an influence like what you would find in early Napalm Death material. Am I grasping at straws here? No, I don’t think so. I am just telling you all what I notice about this album that makes it a cut above the rest.

Nuclear have a somewhat extensive back catalog dating back to 2003, and while I don’t know what they sounded like in years past, I can say without a doubt that this release should be garnered as one of the best thrash metal releases out there today. This band is not to be underestimated and taken lightly. Candlelight Records definitely knew what they were doing when they released this masterpiece of sonic obliteration. All fans of thrash need to pick this up put it in and play it loud! This is a release that can definitely hold its own against anything released by bigger named bands. You can be sure of that!