© 2002-2020

Good to gain all their material - 90%

hailmarduk666, May 28th, 2009

Personally I am not a collector of vinyl so this was nice for me. I was glad to get my hands on anything by this band, because it's all amazing work. Aschefrueling is a great song with a soft fingerpicked interlude, and very well-done harmonies. Good vocals and excellent drumming, make this song a very beautiful one.

The second track, Vorbei is good as well, and also on the Stille EP, but, once again, obtaining all their discography if one doesn't want vinyl, makes this a worthwhile purchase. Vorbei has great melody, excellent drumming, and the synthesizer is very unobtrusive and basically supplies fodder for atmosphere.

I personally cannot find anything wrong with this, and seeing as it was considered their final release, before their 2008 album came out, I can understand that it left a bitter taste in the mouths of those who got it when it first came out. Hindsight is 20/20, and looking back on it, I cannot fault them for making the elusive title track and the "remix" version of Vorbei available to the die-hards outside of an LP release. It can't be a cash-grab...because I don't know anyone personally besides a few online people that listen to this particular band. Thus, I cannot downgrade this little gem. I thoroughly enjoyed it and despite it's brevity, it's an excellent 10+ minutes worth of beautiful music.

An unfitting epitaph for a great band - 55%

BM_DM, December 20th, 2007

In which Nocte Obducta bade farewell, seemingly for good in view of the fact that the promised final pre-break up album is now a year late.

Neither of the tracks on ‘Aschefrühling’ are new. The first track was previously released as a bonus on the vinyl issue of 2003’s ‘Stille’ EP. It is typical Nocte Obducta, mid-paced elegant guitar work supported by a rock-solid double-kick drum patterns. Harsh and clean vocals appear in equal measure.

The second track and final track, ‘Vorbel’, is a reworking of another track from the same EP. A rapidly strummed single note melody carries the piece along nicely in the verse section and across the bridges, but the chorus is clunky, with staccato palm damps and the odd unwelcome harmonic squeaks. Some nicely reverbed, picked chords chime away in the distance to divert the listener during these intermissions, but probably not enough to distract them from noticing the odd bar of what sounds suspiciously like fretless bass high in the mix. Some interesting bubbling analogue synth work closes the piece, which ends abruptly.

This single is far from being Nocte Obducta’s best work, and rereleasing two previously available tracks from the same EP hardly seems a fitting send off for what was a better than average turn of the millennium black metal band.