Creative, unique and their finest work? - 92%

tastysanity, August 28th, 2012

Wow. I was first introduced to Nile when I listened to the track 'What can be Safely Written' off the album 'Ithyphallic', which in turn introduced me to this exciting, technical and brutal side of Heavy Metal. The thing that attracted me most about this band was the extremely heavy Egyptian influences which they combined with the music, and from that point on I just wanted to hear more and more.

'Those Whom the Gods Detest' is a fine example of how Technical Death Metal should be, rather than some fret board wankery spewed out from the likes of Brain Drill or the constant 'br00tal' breakdowns from bands such as Annotations Of An Autopsy (who drag the Deathcore genre through filth and shit, giving it a bad reputation). Nile are the masters of this genre and know exactly what's right for their music.

This album keeps you listening right off the bat with the song 'Kafir!' blaring in your ears, with a nice mixture of Technicality, Brutality and of course, Egyptian music. There's some form of an Arabic chant (I'm unsure at this time what it could be but it's along those lines) during the slam which catches you off guard and really shouldn't work, but strangely enough it does. Other songs such as 'Those Whom the Gods Detest', 'Utterances of the Crawling Dead', 'The Eye of Ra' and 'Iskander Dhul Kharnon' are some of the best pieces of Death Metal I have ever heard and cannot stop listening too.

Vocals are a mixture of two growls; one being more spoken word while the other being a lot more guttural. Sanders and Toler-Wade and pretty good at their vocals and I have no complains, however some of the lyrical arrangements in some of the tracks can sound out of place and alien to the onslaught of the instruments in the background, especially on the track 'Hittite Dung Incantation'. Don't get me wrong, it's a really good track but the vocals can sound strange.

Guitar work is fantastic on this album and I couldn't be happier with what they've done with it. Middle Eastern style chords, technical riffs and slams are very prominent on this album and they never fail to disappoint. Some of the solos are pretty good as well, especially on 'Kem Khefa Kheshef'. The solo on that sounds amazing. However, solo's aren't the best on this album, 'Kafir!' being the weakest in my opinion and sounding a bit crappy. Bass is just there really, due to the lack of a fourth member and anything that's bass related.

George Kollias is a brilliant drummer and this shows greatly on this album as a whole, with his ridiculous abilities behind the kit. There are a lot of drum fills on this album that sound great and the double bass is especially fast. The blasts are beautifully crafted and the drums as a whole are fantastic.

I still have Nile's previous releases to add to my ever-growing CD collection and I'm excited to what I will hear because 'Those Whom the Gods Detest' has fed my interest in Technical Death Metal again and I cannot enjoy this album enough. Those who seem to be giving it a backlash need to give it another listen and be a bit more open about what they hear, because they might be suprised.

Stand out Tracks:
+'Kafir!'
+'Hittite Dung Incantation'
+'Utterances of the Crawling Dead '
+'Those Whom the Gods Detest'
+'Kem Khefa Kheshef'