The first step, a very solid and oustanding album! - 99%

Daniel_2007_Pendulum, February 28th, 2008

"Angels Fall First" still remains as one of the best Nightwish albums, although it was released more than 10 years ago! I acquired it recently (it's a little hard to find nowadays) because I wanted to listen wiht my own ears if it was as good as most of the people describe it. And they're right! It's an excellent album.

During the album, many of the ideas of an acoustic project by Tuomas can be sensed, but they give the album a very rare style, that has only been seen a very few times before. The songs "Lappi (Lapland)", "Angels Fall First" and "Once Upon a Troubadour" are a good proof of that.

But nothing is 100% "sweet" in metal, and this album is not an exception to that rule. The album contains many fast and mid-aggressive songs, like "Astral Romance", "Know Why The Nightingale Sings", "Elvenpath" and "Tutankhamen". The balance between the acoustic ballads and the power metal songs is shown for the first time by the band, making their next albums be worth to listen to.

If you can, get the Limited Edition of the album. Why? Maybe because only that edition includes the best song of the album, the masterpiece "A Return To The Sea". That song is close to perfection, and it still remains as my third favorite of thr band.

Most of the songs are spectacularly good, but the ones I personally recommend are: "Astral Romance" (I prefer its 2001 version, but this one is good, too), "Nymphomaniac Fantasia" (Tuomas' unfavorite, but I like it anyway although it has very short lyrics), "Tutankhamen" (a song to the ancient Egypt, if it had appeared later it could've been better), "Angels Fall First" (an acoustic song full of both light and dark elements), "Know Why The Nightingale Sings" (a very good power rock/metal song, I really like it), "Lappi (Lapland)" (a 9-minute song full of Finnish elements, those ones who say it's crappy are completely crazy!) and, of course, "A Return To The Sea".

I'm going to finish saying that this album is worth every cent you pay for it. It may be a little slow, but it has the style that has made the band famous (and it's their first album!).