Holy.... Shit.... - 100%

KrameDogg, December 29th, 2006

I'll say this plain and simple: Neurosis is the Pink Floyd of metal - and of our generation as a whole. They are completely unwavering in their experimentation; take a look at Pain of Mind, and compare it to, oh, A Sun That Never Sets. You would think of them as works of two completely different bands, and for all intents and purposes, they are. Neurosis is no longer the hardcore/crust/crossover thrash band it used to be in the 1980s/early 1990s. I have seen them bunched into just about every genre, falling under such extremes as indie rock and progressive death metal. And yet they are completely indefinable - one of their best traits. They are able to seamlessly blend together every type of music into a chaotic, melodic, crushing, and heart-stopping mixture that can confuse and startle even the most seasoned metalheads. Neurosis's style has been described before as a "wall of sound," an acutely accurate description. Forget your brutal death metal and grindcore; these guys are the heaviest and loudest stuff around.

Neurosis has really shifted in their sound recently; The Eye of Every Storm is far less punishing than their earlier works when they began really experimenting with metal. It was around this time, beginning with the release of Enemy of the Sun, that Neurosis began to make music that would push the boundaries of heaviness. Like, holy fucking jumping Jesus, is this album heavy. This is the kind of music that not only knocks your socks off - your feet come off in the process, as well. Through Silver in Blood is arguably their best work; it takes everything that was great about Enemy of the Sun, and knocks it up ten or so more notches. Like all of their better work, the album is completely unpredictable. The first twenty minutes, your ears are shredded by the colossal “Through Silver in Blood” and “Eye.” Then things seem to tone down into mellow, almost Floyd-ish territory for “Purify”… and then the rug is pulled out from under you yet again. Like all of Neurosis’s albums, Through Silver in Blood is long as fuck. Yet even at 70 minutes, the album neither drags nor bores. These are guys who truly, passionately care about their music – “real” musicians, if you will. Many of the songs exceed ten minutes, and yet they always leave you wanting them to be ten minutes longer. If my message has somehow been lost, I’ll be very clear: This is an incredible album.

As much praise as I could pour out for these guys would never be able to do them anywhere close to enough justice. Nor could I possibly (or properly) encompass the vast range of emotions captured in this musical offering. All I can say is this: After you finish this review, get up, grab your coat, keys, and wallet and go buy this album.