© 2002-2020

Neter - Idols - 90%

Edmund Sackbauer, June 18th, 2018
Written based on this version: 2015, CD, Metallic Media (Limited edition)

After having finished my review of their most actual album “Inferus” which impressed me quite a bit I had to give their previous album “Idols” a proper look as well. While on the first listen it seemed as if “Inferus” is better in every sense a more detailed listen to “Idols” made me appreciate this album a lot as well.

The first album of these Spaniards with the interesting name “Nec Spe Nec Metu” has been a rawer affair with distorted guitars and a more simplistic approach to songwriting. Although “Idols” does not include all the elements found on “Inferus” like the slightly exotic sounding guitars and the melancholic vibes in full detail the overall sound that I enjoyed so much is already in place.

Neter walk the path between the classic structures of Old School Death Metal and a more modern and technical approach with ease and self-confidence. The main riffs should make fans of Morbid Angel etc. feel right at home. There are flashes of technical prowess that build up a slightly chaotic atmosphere in some sections before the thundering DM machine is marching in straight line again. Neter are great songwriters and use these elements to give the listener some a feeling of relief when the familiar rhythm takes over again. When I say “chaotic atmosphere” this does not mean that they ever lose the focus of the actual song but implement this kind of twists very cleverly.

One advantage of “Idols” compared to the follow-up is that while it is not as adventurous it feels slightly more compact and coherent. The flow of the songs is great and time flies by while listening to this album. The instrumentation is top notch but far from being labelled Progressive DM.

The production is thick and heavy giving the songs an immense punch. The drums have this brutal tone that makes the whole music feel like a bulldozer at full speed. The rumbling bass is audible and is used to great effect as solo instrument in some sections.

Listening to “Idols” you will find a lot of familiar stuff as Neter have not really been exploring new paths here. However, the quality presented on this album is more than impressive and I can almost guarantee that most DM heads will find a lot to enjoy here.