© 2002-2018

the first REAL heavy metal record in a decade - 88%

overkill67, August 29th, 2006

I often wonder what would have happened to Anthrax had they never dismissed Neil so early on in their career. As much as I truly enjoy the albums featuring Belladonna, I personnaly feel that Neil is simply a more capable vocalist. Especially in terms of the high ended falsetto stuff, which even in a live setting, Neil has no problems hitting.

As far as this album goes, Threatcon Delta is a fantastic true heavy metal record. It's not thrash, and it's not progressive, simply classic metal played to near perfection.

One problem that I do have with this album is the fact that the production quality on each and every song is different. Some songs sound great, and some don't sound that great at all. It would appear as if this album was a long time in the making, and the songs were recorded at different times, and eventually compiled together to make a complete album. Whatever the case may be, this is one complaint that I cannot ignore.

The musicianship on this album is really good, especially some of the lead guitar work, if I'm not mistaken, I think Paul Gilbert even does some flashy lead work on here. The vocal melodies are truly the highpoint for me. Neil's melodies are absolutely killer. Very memorable, and very catchy. The vocal harmonies are found in practically every song and they too are a necessity in complementing the melodies that seem to ring on for miles.

No need in breaking down every song since their are no real stinkers on here. Each track is worthy to be heard, however I will make mention to the fact that Piece of Me, and Dog Eat Everything are probably my two favorites.

If you are a fan of the harder edged rock of the eighties, without the sexist and chauvenistic overtones of the glam bands, then you'll probably dig the music on this above average disc. If you're a fan of guys like Steve Perry and Sebastian Bach, then you'll probably dig the vocals. Hopefully this album fits the bill for you, I fuckin' love it!