Yawn. Am I supposed to be scared? - 45%

Milo, October 29th, 2007

The first full-length album by German band Necros Christos is drawing quite a bit of attention from death metal fans. I’m not following 2007 death metal that closely but anyway I decided to give this album a shot. Maybe I could find something as interesting as the new Hacride or something. Or not.

So what does Necros Christos bring to the table? “Triune Impurity Rites” is yet another attempt at recording a “satanic ritual” in a CD. The band uses a myriad of tools to achieve the goal of creating atmosphere, the main concern here. The band bombards you with clichéd concepts: slow to medium pace (there are no blast beats and high speed thrash beats are rare), spoken passages, dark melodies and keyboards, acoustic passages. The rhythm section consists of long, very bassy tremolo riffs. The vocals aren’t anything special but I must say they work well here: Intelligible growls are improved by a slight reverb effect that seems to enhance the impression of walking through a path that becomes even darker as you advance. There are some gloomy, evil melodies for another dose of murkiness.

However, this formula quickly becomes too rigid and loses its already limited effect. In fact, the album tries too hard but definitively fails at everything it wants to be and has little-to-no meaning to me. TIR becomes pretty boring because of its lack of variation: the obsession with bassy tones makes the whole “experience” very tiresome, almost annoying. The lack of speed accentuates the already monotonous pattern adopted. Unlike this, Solitude Aeturnus was successful at creating a memorable doom metal record with “Beyond the Crimson Horizon” due to its variety of tempos and contradictory high pitched vocals. For that, the album doesn’t lose an ounce of its epic qualities, oppressiveness, nor does it forget it’s a doom metal album. TIR fails for being too homogeneous at its core, for the obviousness of its songwriting (the use of melodies which are too common, including “church organ” and abuse of the “slow=evil” concept) and most of all, because of being unable to convey any real atmosphere or emotion, no matter how many spoken interludes and acoustic intros they stuff the album with. Soon you’ll realize the songs are based around vocals and that, instead of diving into utter darkness, you’ll just try to find “cool riffs”. Necros Christos’ music wants to say “you’re in an evil satanic ritual, you’re supposed to be scared” but in fact, I’m not scared. This is as boring as a catholic mass.

This album is not like “Beyond the Crimson Horizon” for the aforementioned reasons. Also, it’s not like Augury’s Concealed, an album in which the listener does take part in an epic journey, whose paths are laid by nothing more than basic metal instrumentation and vision. This band has a lot to learn.