The ideal sound - 97%

OMG PILLS NOMNOM, August 5th, 2019

Before I say a word about the actual music, I think its important to get one thing across first and foremost. Whenever I read a review for an album and the writer says the album has "evil sounding" riffs it really strikes me as a pretty lame way of describing an album. That said, Necros Christos have absolutely cultivated an evil sound, so much so that it is actually quite shocking.

The setup on this album is quite good. Intensely dark and wicked songs peppered with stark interludes of music and spoken word. The vocals are absolutely perfect. They are very dark, very genuinely evil and very intense. It’s a deep, almost gurging bark, straight from the pit of hell. The vocal performance on this album is completely flawless, absolutely perfect.

The music itself is quite well done. In between the proper tracks we get lots of interludes which vary from acoustic pieces, to spoken word and organ music. It really is these short interludes that tie everything together and make for interesting listening.

Interludes aside, the proper songs themselves are very powerful, very strong, with excellent writing. The riffs are engaging and wild, they truly cultivate that blackened death/doom sound perfectly. It’s almost the ideal of that sound flawlessly realized. Nothing gets boring here. Nothing runs too long, nothing feels too short. it’s a perfect balance. The drumming is well-done as well. Nothing too flashy or acrobatic, but they keep time perfectly and they, like the rest of the music, never feel dull or tired.

Overall, this album is nearly flawless. It’s probably one of the best extreme metal albums I’ve ever heard and if you haven’t checked them out yet, you’re really missing out.

Did you know?.. - 98%

redless, November 13th, 2012

Yes, I'm talking to all people who consider themselves lovers of death metal or occult metal in general and don't happen to have reliable sources of information... Necros Christos is #1 on your "bands to check immediately" list and you just didn't notice!

As I've stated in several reviews, Necros Christos is a typical example of a band that manages to stand out in this whole new wave of old school death metal thingy. Necros Christos operates through a formula that has been proven satisfyingly effective and is actually what every worthy underground death metal band does. Specifically, this formula is taking the teachings of primordial bands like Autopsy, Incantation, Immolation, Entombed, Asphyx, Demigod, Bolt Thrower etc. and then fuse them and twist them until the blend sounds good. It sounds easy, yet actually very few have achieved a sound that is neither too familiar nor too kitsch. So, a rough description of Necros Christos would be to say that they are like a ritualistic version of Autopsy. But that would be both imprecise and not accepted by the Archives. So, let's start explaining what's going on in Triune Impurity Rites.

Triune Impurity Rites is one hour long. Out of its 23 tracks, only ten are death metal. The rest are interludes made up mostly of instrumental interludes, which vary from spoken passages accompanied with organ to sweet, peculiar melodies delivered by woodwinds and strings, combining mid-Eastern themes with a folk-like essence. By the use of these interludes, Necros Christos manages to make 60 minutes seem like 30. The ten death metal songs are pretty much all in the same vein, following mid-paced patterns that are not really complex or techincal, but if you care about these two, you should stop reading this review and go listen to Rings of Saturn or whatever you thing is brutal. The riffs are not commonplace and sound close to Nile, yet more to the point and less wanky -don't get me wrong though, I fucking love Nile. However, the band skillfully avoids pretentious east-like masturbation that plagues some bands. The drumming is mostly mid-tempo, bringing the band closer to Cruciamentum than to Teitanblood. "Thrashy" beats are brought in the game only in a handful of moments and blasting parts are thankfully absent. Consequently, the music is in a certain way ceremonial and atmospheric. The bass sounds like having fully comprehended and embraced the legacy of classics like "Mental Funeral" or "Slumber of Sullen Eyes" and is ultimately pleasing, especially when it's the only instrument being played, e.g. around the third minute mark in "Deathless in Spiritual Evil". The vocals of mastermind Mors Dalos Ra are like fucking barks and are totally evil and death metal. They also rule because the way he pronounces the word "death", it sounds like "desss"!!! The lyrics are about satanic rituals and are completely loveable to any self-respecting heavy metal fan. You know, the thing about this album is that while it's true in its death metal-ness, it's also one of those extreme albums you can say are "HEAVY FUCKIN' METAL", probably because of the addicting choruses and riffs.

To sum things up, whereas this album doesn't get the attention it deserves and is frequently overshadowed by its successor, it's still some of the best shit you'll ever listen to, if you're a sucker for death metal bliss like me. And, besides the ritualistic concept, Triune Impurity Rites features great death metal songs you don't listen to every day. So, if I've touched sensitive spots with any of the bands I mentioned -except Rings of Saturn- then you'd better give this album a listen or two, and who knows, hopefully you'll be as pleased as I am! I should mention though that it took me several listens to get into the band's music before I got the CD, so you may have to trust the general fuss around their name and be persistent. Darkness, damnation, death.

Bow to the temple of Necros Christos - 90%

orphy, March 30th, 2008

Darkness. Damnation. Death. This phrase of alliteration describes Necros Christos pretty much to the point. And finally, after a handful of demos, EPs and splits, we have the first LP from the band. This LP lives up to everything the band created for themselves in terms of a name and image, and has really set up Necros Christos to be leaders in the movement of great modern death metal.

One will notice right away that listening to a Necros Christos release is quite different from listening to a lot of other CDs. The band puts a lot of effort and thought into what you are buying. Not only are the lyrics and music evil, but the interludes build up more atmosphere, and goes along with the packaging and image the band puts forth. They give themselves a cult appeal, and deliver well on everything.

So, the CD starts of with a sort of intro piece. These are scattered between every track, and feature keys, weird voices, and classical guitars. The contrast created here is appropriate, as they still fit with the whole atmosphere of the album, but just in an entirely different approach. They literally set the songs up to sound all the more explosive due to this approach. I've always felt a bit of an old Hypocrisy vibe in their music, as it feels like mid-paced death metal that was created to summon the devil.

As simple-yet-catchy riffs barrage the listener and make lasting impressions, one will notice that the drum performance really assists in the mood create. Lots of tom work that feels almost tribal, or dare I say ritualistic, keep rhythm and really make these songs sound like cult hymns. The lyrics along with the vocal approach does this well do, as they are low and seem to create their own mythology.

These guys are really just great at what they do. The song writing feels complete and thought out, the riffs seem old school but refreshing, and the production along with the performance are convincing. There's even some old demo tracks on here that fit perfectly, and almost serve as homage to fans who've been listening since the demo days. This release sold out pretty fast too, which is great for this band because they deserve it. Fans who got left behind and missed a chance to buy it should not have to fret, as there is a repress coming out shortly at the time of writing this. Necros Christos are truly innovators at what they do, so keep and eye on them.

Yawn. Am I supposed to be scared? - 45%

Milo, October 29th, 2007

The first full-length album by German band Necros Christos is drawing quite a bit of attention from death metal fans. I’m not following 2007 death metal that closely but anyway I decided to give this album a shot. Maybe I could find something as interesting as the new Hacride or something. Or not.

So what does Necros Christos bring to the table? “Triune Impurity Rites” is yet another attempt at recording a “satanic ritual” in a CD. The band uses a myriad of tools to achieve the goal of creating atmosphere, the main concern here. The band bombards you with clichéd concepts: slow to medium pace (there are no blast beats and high speed thrash beats are rare), spoken passages, dark melodies and keyboards, acoustic passages. The rhythm section consists of long, very bassy tremolo riffs. The vocals aren’t anything special but I must say they work well here: Intelligible growls are improved by a slight reverb effect that seems to enhance the impression of walking through a path that becomes even darker as you advance. There are some gloomy, evil melodies for another dose of murkiness.

However, this formula quickly becomes too rigid and loses its already limited effect. In fact, the album tries too hard but definitively fails at everything it wants to be and has little-to-no meaning to me. TIR becomes pretty boring because of its lack of variation: the obsession with bassy tones makes the whole “experience” very tiresome, almost annoying. The lack of speed accentuates the already monotonous pattern adopted. Unlike this, Solitude Aeturnus was successful at creating a memorable doom metal record with “Beyond the Crimson Horizon” due to its variety of tempos and contradictory high pitched vocals. For that, the album doesn’t lose an ounce of its epic qualities, oppressiveness, nor does it forget it’s a doom metal album. TIR fails for being too homogeneous at its core, for the obviousness of its songwriting (the use of melodies which are too common, including “church organ” and abuse of the “slow=evil” concept) and most of all, because of being unable to convey any real atmosphere or emotion, no matter how many spoken interludes and acoustic intros they stuff the album with. Soon you’ll realize the songs are based around vocals and that, instead of diving into utter darkness, you’ll just try to find “cool riffs”. Necros Christos’ music wants to say “you’re in an evil satanic ritual, you’re supposed to be scared” but in fact, I’m not scared. This is as boring as a catholic mass.

This album is not like “Beyond the Crimson Horizon” for the aforementioned reasons. Also, it’s not like Augury’s Concealed, an album in which the listener does take part in an epic journey, whose paths are laid by nothing more than basic metal instrumentation and vision. This band has a lot to learn.

It's all about the dark atmosphere... - 92%

rokawhite, October 17th, 2007

Necros Christos is one of the newer breed of metal bands combining black and death metal. Unlike others in this genre such as Behemoth, Necros Christos does not produce fast songs, but instead creates slow, yet highly atmospheric songs.

Here, they have released a very interesting debut album. Apart from regular songs, the album is full of many interludes. These greatly enhance the atmosphere of the album, by giving it a mystic feel. The interludes show the great composing skills of the band. A highlight in this area are the three tracks labelled the "Gates". All of them utilize the same instruments and feel as if they belong together. Another plus for the atmosphere.

A great deal of instruments are used in this release. For example, "Temple V" utilizes an exotic stringed instrument. "Conquering Tell Al-Mutesallim" is also a very well composed song in this regard.

The usual songs utilize an almost raw, yet clear guitar tone with droning drum work. The vocals sound extremly evil and suit the music perfectly. They vary along with the song, changing from shreiks to almost-clean chanting. The lyrics are an area that could use some improvement, as they usually repeat many times during the song structure. Coming to the production, I'll say that it is perfectly done, maintaining the raw guitar tone, while accomodating the other elements in a good manner.

A highlight in composing would be "Christ Was Not Of Goatborn Blood" which incorporated a weird, occult-influenced pipe organ in it's mid-section. Similar sections can be seen in the song "Triune Impurity Rites - II".

Overall, this is an excellent release, meant for all black and death metal fanatics.

Highlights: Va Koram Do Rex Satan, Triune Impurity Rites I - III, Gate I - III.

Graves Shall Open To This - 95%

Profaner, March 5th, 2007

If you've never heard Necros Christos before, they play a style of death metal that is slowed down in the tempo department for the most part. This allows the dark atmopshere that they exude to breathe and infect you with its catchiness.

The death/black metal underground has been waiting for a Necros Christos full-length for a few years now and, at last, it has arrived in the form of "Triune Impurity Rites". This album is a culmination of everything that Necros Christos has worked for up to this point and doesn't necessarily offer anything particularly new (in terms of sound/style) for people that have been following their demo trail since 2001. So was it worth the wait? Yes.

"T.I.R." serves up re-recordings of 4 old songs, 2 from "Necromantic Doom" and 2 from "Black Mass Desecration", and 5 new songs. There's really nothing different going on between the 4 re-recordings and their older counterparts, these are just of better quality. The 5 new songs are perfectly in line with the sound that they've always had. Excellent material, particularly 'Last Rite Of Christ' and the 'T.I.R. Trilogy', though the new material offers nothing in the way of growth or experimentation (down to the production, which is a more fluid, cleaned up version of how "Grave Damnation" sounds). But when you have material this good, I think this can be overlooked.

What makes "T.I.R." really special though, is the structure of the album as a whole. The atmopshere that it contains, as a whole piece, is suffocating. Even if you're not a spiritual person, this album, in the proper setting, will have you contemplating the mysteries of theology and the occult before you even realize it. There are 3 sections to this album (or perhaps ceremony would be a more appropriate word). Each section pertains a different set of "Cultmysteries", based on the lyrical content of the 3 tracks and their corresponding "Temples", and ending each section are 3 "Gates", which are comprised of dark but lovely classical guitar pieces. Indeed, it is best to listen to this album as a whole, though the songs can certainly stand on their own (especially 'Black Mass Desecration' and 'Impure Burials Prevail', both from the "Black Mass Desecration" demo, GREAT songs).

Necros Christos could be criticized a little for not being more adventurous (though it is cool that they have their own sound, perhaps in the future they would do well to step out of the niche that they have created for themselves and experiment a little), but the quality and completeness of this work is undeniable. They are one of the keepers of the ancient death metal flame, and they burn it in a way that is uniquely their own.