Now this is how you make technical death metal. - 96%

t_, July 30th, 2006

WHOA! Never before has an album shocked me through sheer technicality, but Necrophagist’s ‘Onset of Putrefaction’ has done just that. This album has to be heard to be believed.

Necrophagist, basically meaning ‘one who feeds from the dead’, is a brutal technical death metal outfit based in Germany. The only member is Muhammed Suiçmez; yes, that means that all instruments and vocals are performed by the almighty Suiçmez. This is an amazing feat in itself, as the genre of this album is brutal technical death metal - and trust me, it is REALLY technical. This album is renowned mainly for it’s technicality, but besides that, there is also the blazingly fast speed of the music and catchy melodies involved.

Changes of time signatures in the album are rife. Suiçmez will keep you guessing on what he’s going to do next, but most likely you’re going to guess incorrectly. The vocals are deep and guttural and possess an extreme degree of vocal strength and resonance that takes the potency of the album to a whole new level.

If you thought that Muhammed Suiçmez would decide to play the guitar only adequately since he is doing all the work on this album, then think again. Suiçmez is practically unequalled and has to be one of the greatest guitar players on earth at this moment in time - just listen to his astounding guitar solos throughout the album and try to tell me otherwise. His ‘shredding’ neoclassical-influenced guitar style fits the style of music surprisingly well.

‘Fermented Offal Discharge’ is a downright awesome song and has probably my favourite guitar solo of all time in it. If any idiot claims that death metal takes no talent, get them to listen to this solo and I guarantee they’ll sit the fuck down. This is probably the most memorable part of the album and fittingly brings it to a close, enticing the listener to give the album another shot.

The only downside of the album is the use of programmed drums. Muhammed Suiçmez had his drummer leave the band just before the recording of the album, so he opted to do the drumming himself through programming. Although he does a great job and makes the drums flawlessly timed, after a while they tend to sound a bit too unrealistic.

It is because of this album that technicality from any other band fails to impress me anymore. I could go on all day about how great Muhammed Suiçmez is but there is a better solution for everyone reading this review: pick up this album right now and you shall be spared from all this Suiçmez ass-kissing that I’m doing. Anyone who says this album is full of pointless wankery deserves to be kicked in the nuts; every riff, every solo, every note adds that extra bit to the overall feel of the album. Any fan of technical death metal (such as Cryptopsy, Yattering, Martyr (Canada)) that isn’t afraid to hear the genre taken to a whole new level of brutality and technicality will love this album. I will close this review by saying PRAISE NECROPHAGIST (or more specifically, Muhammed Suiçmez)!