Arpeggios From Hell! - 60%

Wra1th1s, May 3rd, 2008

Or 'A Most Merciless Slaughter of Kittens'

Muhammad Suicmez folks! What a guy! He is perhaps the most technical death metal guitarist ever. Yes, he even kicks Schuldiner's ass at shredding! I mean put on any song he has done and you will be hard-pressed to distinguish between 'solo' and 'not-solo.' I swear, I can hear the kittens dying with every note.

Let's get things out of the way first. This album, was not recorded by a band. Necrophagist had already split up by this point, but Muhammad is Necrophagist in the same way Chuck is Death. Also there's no drummer in this album, he uses a much improved (or so I'm told) drum machine on the 2004 re-release but it still sounds awkward. While we're at it, I'll just come right up and say it: Muhammad CANNOT play normal riffs. He must play riffs that have arpeggios and assorted meedley-meedleys, but mostly arpeggios. It's like a biological impossibility for him. If I remember correctly, "To Breathe In A Casket (did I mention his horrible lyrics?)" has a verse riff that is all pinch harmonics.

So, on a purely technical perspective, this album is spectacular. Yet, on pure enjoyability, the album is very lacking. Horrible lyrics, even by death metal standards, aplenty. The songs are just a vehicle for his shredding, they all seem to run together and that is bad unless you're making a concept album. I don't recall specific songs unless I look at the titles.

The production is your typical tech-death fare. Clean as hell with the guitars and drums up-front. Oh and that drum machine sounds very fake to me, It makes me wonder how bad the original drum machine is, although the drum machine serves its purpose. The 2004 edition features tracks from Necrophagist's demo and it sounds much better because an actual band recorded it.

Get it? Oh sure, why not? It is fun, if nothing else.