Exploding With Talent - 100%

MutatisMutandis, August 20th, 2005

There are good releases, great releases, and every once in a while, there are skull-splitting, brain-liquefying, and spleen-rupturing releases that make you wanna start a polytheistic religion around it, with each song taking the position of a different god. If this band thought it’d be funny for you to get debilitatingly large breast implants, regardless of sex or age, you’d march down to the nearest plastic surgeon and tell them to get out the big guns. I can honestly say I’m not too happy with my new man-jugs, as they’ve stretched out my Carcass long-sleeve to ridiculous proportions, but it does let people the people “in the know” understand how many thousand tons of ass this album kicks. Necrophagist may not be a one man band, but it may as well be. The bands brain does just about everything except a few bass lines... I think. I don’t really remember. I know I read something like that somewhere sometime, but it doesn’t really matter anyway. This guy is exploding with enough talent to put 70% of the metal scene to complete shame. About 10 minutes into this, my mouth cracked open, and the amounts of saliva I produced may very well have drowned third world countries. The technicality and beauty of this man’s work is so far beyond any of the more popular tech death bands, I can’t help but wonder what’s wrong with this community. Well, aside the fact that half of it are the products of anal birth and have IQ’s akin to this dead squirrel I found today at work. There are plenty of start-stop riffs, chunky speed changes, and moments that refresh my love of the genre like few other albums have ever done. The somewhat minimal vocal use fits perfectly into the style, and really allows the listener to absorb every riff in and out (if you didn’t already know, the vocals used are similar to newer Morbid Angel and Immolation, except slightly raspier). Before I begin my religious speech, I should wrap this up. If you love, or even enjoy slightly, death or technical death metal, pick this up anyway possible.