Strong contender against Scream Bloody Gore? - 90%

Destroyeroftheweak, April 14th, 2007

So, I was reading up on death metal history and I stumble upon Necrophagia's Season of the Dead. I take a huge liking to old death or death/thrash albums like Pestilence, Death, Morbid Angel, etc. I download this album and I find the most brutal name on the album, "Insane for Blood". I begin the song...and wow, i'm astonished on how brutal this is for 1987. It's a little more doomy type than the more brutal thrash style in the ways of Scream Bloody Gore. Another thing I notice is the vocal style, probably the most brutal and evil vocals i've heard besides from Sarcofago's INRI.

The guitar work is fast and evil, giving off a feeling of murder, evil, and just carnage. The recording on this album is well...near terrible, mainly for the drums. The drumming is somewhat boring, it's like the drummer couldn't think of anything for the songs so he just improvised. The drumming is very slow, the total opposite of what the drumming should be. With these brutal and evil riffs, you need good fast brutal drumming. The recording and drumming is basically the only faults on this album.

Overall, this is an excellent album. From the brutal riffs to the evil hellish vocals from Killjoy (?). This is a must have for death metal fans, it's not a real headbanger as much as it is to mosh or to just murder to. Excellent album...well, the only excellent album from Necrophagia, sadly.