© 2002-2024

Necrophagia > It Began with a Twisted Dream... > Reviews > carlerskine
Necrophagia - It Began with a Twisted Dream...

Necrophagia (LA)- Review of a twisted dream. - 90%

carlerskine, October 19th, 2006

I'm reviewing this demo first of all as a fan, but also as a member of this group. I was with the band from beginning to end, spanning five years. In that time we played shows with early pioneers of the scene such as Terrorizer(with Jesse Pintado, who later became guitarist of Napalm Death), early Sadistic Intent, the great Sacrilege (the Bay Area thrashers) and Cryptic Slaughter etc..

Most of which is known of Necrophagia (LA), albeit ignorant is that they were just an obscure band from Los Angeles, CA, that was attempting to capitalize on the popularity of the band with the same name from Ohio. This was never the case and you need not look further than the content on their demo release, which by the way came out after the Wild Rags effort released the previous year, which by my own account was not very inspired and led to the dismissal of everyone except myself. The pairing of Eddie Santiago and Jerry Battle would lead to the recording that became, for its time, their most accomplished work - the demo It Began With a Twisted Dream.

So on to the review. The demo begins with recordings of Nazi Germany gas chambers closing on unsuspecting Jewish bathers, followed by the sinister voice of Adolph Hitler leading into the force that is "Bone Cancer", a song full of tempo changes and is very true to the southern Cali scene that was producing the likes of Slayer and Dark Angel. The epic "Burning Galleries" follows with its screaming guitar compliments of Jerry Battle and tremendous double time drumming from former Seizure and session drummer Piercy, who brings about similarities to a young Gene Hoglan. This song would become a template for their future recordings which were evident on the never-released record on the Ever Rat label Bleeding Incubus circa 1989. "Deny The Cross" ends the proceedings with a flurry of speed/death/thrash metal at its best, and just when its about to explode, it leads you into an acoustic outro. The End. Indeed.
I would recommend this demo to anyone who remembers the scene circa 1986-1988, the era of a more formidable past. Peace, y'all.