© 2002-2020

Paradise... Paradise Found - 100%

Magero, April 3rd, 2008

Well, to begin this review I would like to say that I find Australian metal to be something of an oddity. Living in Australia myself, I hear a fair bit and to be honest, not many grab me. Bands like Pathogen, Five Star Prison Cell and Terrorust are great to listen to, but they’re nothing “new”. So when I kept hearing about this Melbourne band that was “redefining Black metal” or “shattering genre boundaries”, I thought they might be worth checking out.

Boy was I wrong.

Now, before you start crucifying me for that remark, I want to clarify my comment.

Ne Obliviscaris aren’t just worth checking out.

They are worth putting on repeat and going for a voyage through the solar system with. They are worth listening to while you slaughter an entire village of monks. They are worth every single positive comment they’ve earned.

I checked them out on myspace and all I can say is, that I was instantly blown away by “Tapestry Of A Starless Abstract”. The sheer, raw power created by this band blew me away. The raw, distorted chords of Matt and Corey, the blast beats of Dan, the anguished scream of Xenoyr, the amazing violin work of Tim and last but certainly not least, the fantastic, dancing bass of Brendan.

I downloaded “The Aurora Veil” demo and to this day, cannot get over it. It’s some of the most amazing pieces of music I’ve ever heard. The way Tim’s clean vocals and violin weave in and out of the music while the chaos continues. The way Brendan’s bass lines dance and play on the guitar work. It’s just… indescribable.

The bass work is a special high light for me. As a bassist I love hearing bassists in bands prove their worth. And sure, some bands don’t need fancy playing or showing off, but in this band, it’s just as important in the overall scheme of things. And things like the bass solo at the end of “Tapestry” just high light this.

The guitar work is fantastic. The trade off solos in “As Icicles Fall” between the guitar and the violin are just superb and fit perfectly.

Now, possibly the most amazing thing about this, is the lyrics. These lyrics are some of the most profound, well written lyrics I’ve ever heard. Like this gem from “As Icicles Fall”

“Swept in tow to the danse macabre
In hand to the cold grasp of time…of time
Broken shutters gape open wide
Breathing in hoarse whispers on high…”

The imagery these lyrics conjure… just perfect.

The 3 songs on this demo hit the 33-minute mark in total and its 33 minutes of sheer aural bliss. These guys have everything going for them right now and I can’t wait for the debut album.