A New Beginning - 85%

corviderrant, May 29th, 2007

This was where ND took it to the next level musically and proceeded to "go metal" on us all. I rather liked it at the time and still enjoy this album quite a lot even though it features the de rigeur for the time mushy Scott Burns "production" style. The guitars overwhelm the bass in typical metal fashion except for a little burst here and there and the drums are not very defined at all in the mix, and the vocals are a tad low in the mix, but otherwise this is still listenable. And this is still a mighty kick in the nads and to the head musically to say the least. Were you expecting any less than that from ND?

After an intro of radio static, the grind crashes in with walls of furious guitars and drums, and Barney wastes little time announcing his presence with one of his trademark "Kam Lee blowouts", a mighty bellow that showed us all from the get-go he was a more than adequate replacement for Lee Dorrian. "If The Truth Be Known" showcases his Tom G. Warrior impersonation with hearty "OOGH!" grunts and runs the gamut from a slow (!) intro to a midpaced headbanging beat and an irresistable riff that makes me pull out ye olde air guitar. A tasty and otherworldly little guitar lead takes us out of this one courtesy of the late Jesse Pintado. "Unfit Earth" is another one that starts midpaced and gets a good headbanging groove going and features backing vocals from both John Tardy and Glen Benton (Tardy sounds more convincing and appropriate to their sound, though). "Suffer The Children" is a fave of mine that runs the gamut again tempo-wise froim midtempo to speedy thrash and the usual blasting madness. There's still lots of blasting on this album, but in a more refined (dare i say it) manner that shows they'd gotten their heads around the concept of writing songs as opposed to furious blasts of noisy brutality.

Mick Harris actually got his act together impressively for this album and tightened up a LOT on the drum front and the songs benefit from his additional drum prowess. Even though he was a right asshole when I met him on the tour accompanying this album, he deserves mention for "Most Improved" player on this album. Mitch Harris and Jesse Pintado contributed a new style of riffing, a more metallic style that featured more technical ability and structure, but still had the go for the throat intensity ND were/are known for. Leads are minimal--in fact, I think the only one is at the end of "If The Truth be Known" and they don't play it live anyway so it doesn't matter. Shane Embury rumbles away with his trademark filthy fuzz bass, supplying the Godzilla-like low end that powered ND's sound. Barney, however, is the star of this album with his guttural bellows and grunts, showing that Lee Dorrian's shoes were easily filled. And in fact, I think he was/is even better than Dorrian.

"Harmony Corruption" is far from unworthy. In fact, in my opinion, it was the last really great ND album before they lost their focus for a while and branched out into too many odd directions that diluted the power and impact of their music. It is well worth hunting down and adding to the collection, if you ask me, so don't pass it up.