© 2002-2017

Now, THIS is death metal! - 100%

MasterTherion, August 14th, 2011

Nailgun Massacre is a little-known and very under-appreciated death metal band. Death metal since the 2000's seems to have its own style and feel that differs from the old school death metal of the late 80's and early 90's. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but there's just something romantic about the early works of Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, and Morbid Angel that allows them to be listened to a million times without getting old. Nailgun Massacre is the first modern band I've heard that's able to capture the intense romanticism that found its way into old school death metal, so I about shat my pants when I heard this album.

The guitars, drumming, and vocals here are all brutally beautiful and perfectly in line with the greats of old school death metal. The vocals are especially raw, echoing back to the glory days of Deicide. Of course, everything about this band is raw, from the vocals to the instrumentals, and even though this album has great production, that doesn't detract from the rawness and brutality of the music in any way.

The album's theme is cheesy, violent, and ultimately fucking awesome, and in a way that really feels like an old school death metal album. Just take a look at the cover! You really can't get any more awesome than that. You know songs can't go wrong with titles like "Mortuary Meathouse" and "Head on a Stick", though understanding the lyrics is more than a bit difficult (just like early 90's death metal - hooray!).

Also worth noting is that when I say that this album feels like old school death metal, I mean it feels like old school death metal. If your idea of death metal is more along the lines of Nile or Behemoth, you might not enjoy this as much. This feels more like the early, Chris Barnes-fronted albums of Cannibal Corpse (back when he was good, I mean), and if you don't understand the sacred feeling of those old school death metal albums, you won't understand why Nailgun Massacre is so amazing.

Fact of the matter is, though, that I do understand the sacred feeling of those old school death metal albums, and I do understand why Nailgun Massacre is so amazing. I hope this band can gain enough of a fanbase to justify producing new material, because I'd kill to hear another album like this one.