© 2002-2021

Doomy Death Metal That Has Stood Time's Test - 85%

brocashelm, April 28th, 2006

I think, but I’m not certain, that Mythic were the first all female death metal act to commit their music to wax. And if they weren’t who cares, because whether that fact is true or not, it’s completely subservient to the fact that this band cranked out some seriously dark and doom-ridden material. In fact, this mini-CD has visited my deck more times than material by far more well known bands in the years that have followed it’s release. An extra thick and low slung guitar tone dominates the affairs, and the generally foreboding tempos are a joy to behold, especially on “Lament Configuration,” on which Dana Duffey really delivers the subsonic riffs (and vocals) with serious venom. Okay so the drumming could be a lot better, but it’s certainly gets the job done, and the overall mood is pleasingly morbid through and through. Duffey herself would go on to present us with the superior black metal outfit Demonic Christ, as well as reissue and rescue the totality of Mythic’s music in the years to come, demo tapes, rehearsal room scraps and all.