© 2002-2024

Mystic Forest > Romances > Reviews > deepred
Mystic Forest - Romances

Worth a listen - 65%

deepred, February 3rd, 2009

Let's get something straight first. Other reviewers have noted how "beautiful" the classical interludes are on this album. There's a good reason for that. They were written by Chopin, one of the finest Romantic composers the world has known. So zero credit to Mystic Forest for that.

Now, I love Chopin, but I don't really want to hear it spliced in between black metal tracks. Not that it doesn't work - in fact it contrasts quite well with Mystic Forest's romantically tinged melodic black metal - but I value originality over plagiarism.

The original music is not bad. Mystic Forest's style is fairly original with its focus around the lead guitars. The vocals are well back in the mix, and it's the lead guitars that provide the lyrical force here. They're not flashy, but emotive and restrained leads/solos which convey well the themes of love and loss. The keys are fairly prominent too, as one would imagine of such a style of BM, but not overpowering.

"Coupable de Tous Les Péchés" is the strongest cut on this album, marked by an accordion melody which evokes with melancholy the sounds of Paris. It's evident that Mystic Forest know where their strengths lie too, because this song opens the album. The problem is that everything that follows sounds similar, but weaker, less memorable. Nevertheless it remains an enjoyable listen if you're in the mood for this sort of thing.

I don't deduct points of the use of Chopin, since it does flow quite well, but they don't gain points either. I would rather hear a failed attempt at originality that a competent attempt at adaptation.