Beatiful and depressing - 95%

yeentrancemperium, May 16th, 2003

My Dying Bride is one of my favorite bands, so yes I will be biased in this review. This is their 3rd album, and a departure from there early doom/death style, now featuring all clean vocals, keyboards, gothy melodies, etc.

Cry of Mankind is my favorite MDB song, and the single most depressing song ever. If you don't slit your wrists while listening to it, there is something wrong with you. Or maybe not. The last 5 minutes or so can be a bit hard to listen to, given that it's pretty much the same melody going over and over. I dig it. Aaron's vocals are amazing, and the keyboards/violin adds to the sad atmosphere. "This is a weary hour"

From Darkest Skies is another highlight. It features some nice heavy riffs, and some well done singing. The drumming is also very good, as it is throughout most of the bands catalogue. The "Be mine tonight" part has got to be one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written. Martin Powell's violins are really unique, and take the music to another level.

Black Voyage begins with a very nice violin intro. The bass sound is also very good, which is interesting, since most metal albums have crappy and inaudible bass sounds. The riffs are slow and heavy, while retaining the sorrowful atmosphere. Again, around 3:45 in the violin of Martin Powell takes over the song, it's just unbelieavably great especially combined with some fast drumming by Rick.

A Sea to Suffer In is another great song here, and the shortest song with 6:30. The music flows very effortlessly with the rest of the song and with the rest of the album. "The fields of blood" sings mr. Stainthorpe, in a very emotional voice. The riff around 3 minutes is probably where the Opeth guys listened very intensely...
Also, the word "girl" is mentioned about 45 times on this album. :)

Two Winters Only is the 2nd best song on here. It begins with a nice melodic keyboard intro, that is the basic structural part of the song. One of the best parts in the song is "Why, did I leave them all?" I know I get chills listening to it. Then the whole rest of the song after it is just great.

Your Shameful Heaven is the least favorite one on here, as it hardly fits with the rest of the album.

Overall, this is one of MDB's greatest albums, and very worthy album to listen to. On a rainy day, when you don't want to do anything, throw this album on, and just sit back (knife optional) and enjoy.