Adequate, competent black metal - 79%

Ilwhyan, April 3rd, 2012

Musta Surma is a fairly typical Finnish black metal band of raw, callous sounds, merciless riffing style and vicious, sinister atmosphere. Musta Surma's album "Kaiken Pyhän Raunioilla" is situated somewhere in the middle of trademark Finnish abundant melodicism and the complete absence of melodic elements, borrowing some elements from the melodic side, but mainly leaning towards the merciless, cold style. The most apt comparisons to countrymate bands would be Behexen and Horna. The incredible ugliness of some Behexen material is absent, as is the ingeniuous melodicism, but the occult atmosphere is well prevalent. Said atmosphere is also common in Horna's music, which tends to represent a more abrasive breed of black metal even at its most melodic, which is an approach Musta Surma certainly adheres to. As opposed to Horna, however, this Musta Surma EP hardly becomes radiant and bright at its most melodic, as even the melodies here are thoroughly dark.

The music is fairly simplistic and one-dimensional, but quite enjoyable. The riffing is imposing, dark and conveys feelings if impending doom and utter darkness. The screams are quite reminiscent of Hoath Torog's on the first Behexen full-length – high-pitched and impish; not immensely convincing but adequately outlandish to qualify as evil, yet controlled and disciplined enough to remain listenable and serious – and the riffs are quite noticeably inspired by the same, if they are considerably less intricate and more pronounced in thorough darkness and less in emotive melodicism. The title track, which opens the EP, consists of a handful of mid-paced simple riffs, none particularly inspiring or evocative, but all of adequate quality, and wholly entertaining, if in part so due to the excellent production, which is raw, yet not bereft of clarity, and delightfully abrasive in its distorted and very pronounced trebles. "Kun Pahuus Polttaa Hyvyyden" is otherwise quite similar to the opener, but halfway it bursts into an intense section of blastbeats with distressed, tenebrous and evil tremolo-picked riffing. Kalman kutsu is the most plodding of the three; it variates between speedier rhythms and slower beats in some passages, but never displays the frenzied side heard in the second track.

"Kaiken Pyhän Raunioilla" is completely passable and enjoyable, but due to the lack of truly captivating material, it works mostly as a black metal snack rather than a satiating meal. The production is quite laudable, and with all material and musicianship on the album being of at least adequate quality, the EP is warmly recommended to connoisseurs of black metal.

Authentic black metal - 92%

MaDTransilvanian, June 7th, 2010

Ever since I’ve begun listening to black metal, the Finnish scene is something I never got into. Not because of some musical or aesthetic dislike for it, but simply because it didn’t happen. However, one small sample of Finnish black metal, the Musta Surma EP known as Kaiken Pyhän Raunioilla, had long been sitting in the depths of my computer and not too long ago I decided to listen to it and review it, to finally have my introduction to a scene towards which I’ve always had a bit of curiosity which was never exactly quenched. And I must say that, if this EP is anything to go by, I’ve been missing something indeed.

Kaiken Pyhän Raunioilla is a three-song EP lasting just around twelve minutes. What’s refreshing about this is, ironically, that it’s absolute pure black metal. No excessive melodic stuff, no over-reaching emphasis on being atmospheric, no keyboards, nothing but pure grade A black metal in EP form. The music is based on those simple, classic black metal riffs which have that deadly double edged blade of melody and harshness to them. Backing this is the drumming, which is surprisingly un-repetitive and ambitious in its multiple patterns played, without falling into overuse or excessive loudness (there are no blast beats here), which is a great relief. That said, technicality a given for both the guitars and the drumming, especially on the second track, Kun Pahuus Polttaa Hyvyyden. Still, if I had to choose an absolute highlight it would have to be the final track, Kalman Kutsu, due to its superior riffs and overall atmosphere.

The vocals are a black metal rasp done in a traditional way, sounding about as harsh as is humanly possible while being a bit drowned out and mixed in the background while the instruments have the greatest exposure. From a comparative standpoint, I’d say that this album reminds me most of Mayhem’s timeless De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, although the comparison is only valid instrumentally: the vocals are orthodox black metal rasps, not Attila Csihar’s insane droning. That having been said, this is a very flattering comparison due to the Mayhem album being so important and great.

Musta Surma’s Kaiken Pyhän Raunioilla is an excellent, classic black metal EP that simple doesn’t compromise. Having now learned to appreciate what Finland is capable of creating in terms of black metal, I’ll be sure to check out additional releases from that scene. In the meantime, allow me to heartily recommend this EP to all who desire exceptional orthodox black metal which doesn’t try to reinvent the wheel in any way.