© 2002-2017

Solid Atmospheric Black Metal - 78%

diabloblueii, November 10th, 2017
Written based on this version: 2017, CD, Depressive Illusions Records (CD-R, Limited edition)

This is a really nice ambient album, almost serene and trance like; distant guitars, clean keyboards + synth, basic drumming and fills to keep the time and move things along/between. The vocals are distant and traditional atmospheric black metal howling (not clean + heavy distortion), but not too abrasive or grating as some albums are.

There are some bright moments, but nothing that stood out so much that I had to rewind it to re-listen. This isn't saying the album isn't heavily re-playable, just hard to pick out specific moments. There are some cool transitions with keyboards and synth (I think), almost like someone is gently hitting glass bottles of different notes. There was potential for a couple spots to really drop something memorable, but the album did not follow through completely on the build up.

I'm not always in the mood for this kind of metal, but this is perfect when I am. Probably the most relaxing thing I've heard in a while, reminds me of Ulver Bergtatt or Amorphis' Tales From the 1000 Lakes in ambience. Produced well, comfortable to listen to, and feels like only a couple moments went by and the album is over and 40 minutes has passed.

If I had to nitpick, bringing in more movements via drumming would probably add more variety/landmarks and make the album less like a single really long song, but at the end of the day its something I'll go back to regardless.

Keep up the good work!