Phantasmagoric! - 90%

gor, July 22nd, 2005

If you don’t own a home theater yet, buy, beg, borrow, steal but whatever you do, GET ONE FOR THIS DVD! Quite possibly one of the top 3 concert videos I own and certainly the best camera work that has ever been incorporated in a concert. I was really, really surprised by the quality of every aspect of this release. But let me analyze on each of the aspects:

-Band Performance: Excellent. The band is on fire. A near flawless show; Lemmy is an old wolf but shows his sharp false teeth with a fantastic performance. Phil is fantastic and has managed to incorporate his style on the old songs in a way that the fans love and support. Mickey Dee lives up to the title “the best drummer in the world” (check out the “sacrifice” drum solo). He also plays acoustic guitar on “Whorehouse blues”, a site to see, not only for this but also to finally see what Lemmy looks like on stage singing without playing his bass!

-Setlist: The setlist is very rewarding and contains some awesome surprises for the Motorhead fan that has bought other concert DVDs on this band, which can serve as a lesson to other bands that like issuing multiple DVDs, what do you say Steve?

-Crowd: awkwardly enough, the front 2-3 lines are full of dorks who just nod their heads and smile to Lemmy’s between-song philosophizing. The rest of the place is reacting satisfactory. Nowhere near the levels Mediterranean or N. American fans would reach but certainly better than the dead trout on the 25th anniversary DVD.

-Sound: At first I though it was a bit muddy but after the first song everything becomes crystal clear. As far as the DD 5.1 mix is concerned, the truth is I would have preferred Lemmy’s vocals coming only from the center front speaker and not through all 3 front speakers but everything else is as I like it, including some cool effects during Phil’s solos with the rear speakers. I think Phil’s guitar gets a bit buried in the stereo mix though, so tough luck for you people with only two speakers, or even worse listening through TV speakers.

-Video: Quite easily the best concert footage these eyeballs have ever stumbled across! The lightning rig is amazing, on some old songs the band look like a faded color photograph, on others they look something like the coach leading Antichrist’s arrival. Truly innovative, almost as much as the video directing, which, aside from the few “epilepsy” camera changes incorporates Matrix-like effects in the gig. YES, you read right and if you haven’t seen it you wont realize how ultimately cool it is. PERFECT.

-Extras: The gig commentary on disk one is, as expected, quite boring, although classic lines are included (Lemmy to Phil: “You look like royalty!”, Phil: “I look like a bum!”). There’s a three quarter documentary on the road crew which is nice and features some other concert footage intersected between interviews (not whole songs, bootleg quality) and some other small neat pieces. Also subtitled in a few languages.

-Packaging. Good artwork, nice, steady digipack case.

Verdict: A million times better than the 25th Anniversary DVD. Buy Or Wither And Die!