Still Kicking Ass The Hardest Of Them All! - 98%

corviderrant, June 6th, 2006

As a Motorheadbanger for over 20 years on my end, I guess I am biased in giving this such a high review. But so what? This DVD is positively incredible on all levels, and I am in love with it.

It reflects a healthy cross section of Lemmy & the boys' output through the years, and quite a few songs are unearthed, dusted off, and put through their paces that haven't been heard in ages as of these days. We're talking the likes of "Metropolis" and "Dancing on Your Grave" here, and a couple other songs from "Another Perfect Day", one of Lemmy's least favorite (and ironically one of my favorite) 'Head albums, "Going To Brazil" and the like. A very good selection of new and less known tracks alongside the usual suspects makes the track selection alone a keeper.

Lemmy...aside from his pronounced bald spot you get to see because of the excellent camera work, the man doesn't seem to age at all. He looms behind his trademark upraised microphone spitting out his lyrics with the same conviction as ever, mauling his signature Rickenbacker bass to death as his (older than me) Marshalls roar like beasts of prey. In fact, he drowns out Phil Campbell's guitar for a good third of the set, which is OK with me! Phil, however, makes up for this with no less than three wailing, searing extended solos at the beginning, middle, and end of one of my all time anthems of theirs, "Just Cos You Got The Power". His bluesy stringbending and raunchy riffing bravely stands up to Lemmy's deafening sawed-off shotgun barrage. And Mikkey Dee...how does the man do it? He keeps up the tempos perfectly with unearthly stamina, best demonstrated by his crazed drum solo in "Sacrifice" where he keeps both kick drums going furiously for at least the first two minutes of it nonstop. Motorhead are not spring chickens, so to see them putting on such a tight, overwhelming, and high-energy show is inspiring to an old fart like me.

As mentioned, all the classics are covered (I need not name them), and other newer numbers like "R.A.M.O.N.E.S.", "Going To Brazil", "Just Cos You Got The Power", and new songs from "Inferno" like the thundering "In The Name of Tragedy" (where Mikkey really shines) get equal treatment, which is to say they surge forth with devastating power and throat-ripping intensity. I say that partly because even with puny TV speaker this will skin your ears. The 2.0 and 5.1 stereo sound mixes are KILLER to say the least--I didn't even have this on that loud and my wife could hear it loud and clear on the other side of the house!

Other than Lemmy drowning out Phil a good part of the time the sound and mix are perfect, giving you a taster of what they're like live. The key word is taster, as seeing them live is the only way to experience the full 'Head treatment. The camera work is for the most part pretty straightforward, with some wacky pixillation effects thrown in for good measure that actually add an interesting feel to the show on display. Very col and tastefully done, these effects are, only occasionally popping up to throw your head for a loop now and again.

The extra features are amusing enough, with a lengthy roadie documentary showing how efficient and dedicated their crew are to their jobs being the centerpiece. Their thick Scots and British accents are subtitled! In fact, an odd feature that pops up is the band's commentary in subtitle form as you watch the concert...and the subtitles that pop up as the interview segments with the band commence. I can understand them perfectly well, but maybe this is for non-English-speaking fans or something? Whatever, it's a minimal annoyance at best.

If you are any kind of headbanger at all, this needs to be in your collection. Period paragraph.