Wave goodbye to your lawn! - 95%

The Red Tower, December 10th, 2016
Written based on this version: 2016, Digital, Cleopatra Records (Bandcamp)

Back in the day when the phrase about the dying lawn – caused by Motörhead if they moved in next door – was coined I guess this song would have made a very fine example to illustrate the saying's meaning. Just try it for yourself: set up some decent speakers in your garden, play this song at full volume and watch every single blade of grass turn brown and drop to the ground in no time (affects beetles and stuffy neighbors too).

Re-recording classic songs is not much appreciated by many metalheads. Often the original renditions are deemed to be definitive and there would be no need for a re-recording. I second this opinion, especially if the re-recording is clearly subpar compared to the original and takes a place in time where a new album with fresh material could have been – I'm looking at you, Manowar!

Lemmy and his lads were wise enough not to re-record a whole album. Instead they decided to give one of the most well known 'head songs a try. So here we have "Overkill (Exclusive version)" which was originally recorded in 2006, appeared on a vinyl the following year and has been reissued approximately three months after the demise of Motörhead's mastermind.

Now that's what I call a proper re-recording! Though the original song from 1978/1979 got a nostalgia vibe and roughness that was rather uncommon back then – and is still a killer tune – the 2006 rendition simply slays in each and every aspect.
Lemmy's bass work is as great as usual, his vocals that are as gruffy as we all love them don't show a sign of age yet. Phil's guitars and solos are on point while Mikkey provides a steady and classy drum bombardement. So we have top notch musicianship here but the sound is where this little baby really shines. Everything is mixed so perfectly balanced and there's so much force here that this recording stands as a landmark in Motörhead's studio sound. The bass has truckloads of punch, the guitars blend in perfectly and the drums simply make your ears shake with their natural and pummeling tone. The overall sound is like Lemmy smashing 100 bottles of Jack Daniel's over your head along the double bass rhythm and forcing you to lick up whiskey and shards alike – pure joy and pain at the same time.

This is near perfection. The only thing they could have skipped is the last reprise which gives the song more length than it needs to take full effect. Actually it does so within half a minute: simply listen to the first 30 seconds and you already know how awesome this ride's gonna be.

If you find some folks who don't know what Motörhead sounds like just play this song to them. They shall understand...