Ghost Rider In The Sky - 80%

televiper11, June 5th, 2017
Written based on this version: 1982, 7" vinyl, Bronze Records

There is just so much to love about this Motörhead 7" that I'm not sure where to start. How about that ridiculous and bad-ass cover photo? If I was gonna write a song called "Iron Fist," I'd want to be photographed wearing one too. That's Philthy menacing us with it with Lemmy brandishing a huge sword and everyone just looking to wreck your world.

Which is just what the title track does. "Iron Fist" rumbles and menaces with Lemmy's jagged bass, Eddie's punchy riffs, and Philthy's punk-y drums. Perhaps a touch too similar to "Ace Of Spades," "Iron Fist" is still iconic Motörhead with great chorus:

You know me, evil eye
You know me, prepare to die
You know me, the snakebite kiss
Devil's grip, the iron fist

The b-side, "Remember Me, I'm Gone," definitely fulfills the requirements of a b-side, in that while fun, it is not nearly as memorable as the a-side. While it has a nice foot-stompin' boogie to it, and a decent solo, it lacks the oomph of "Iron Fist" and lyrics aren't Lemmy's sharpest. At just over two minutes, it also feels slightly underdeveloped. But it's also a Motörhead tune so it ain't bad by any stretch! All of Motörhead's b-sides have been reissued on comps and stuff so one hardly needs to track these old 7"s down anymore unless you are a die hard collector.