© 2002-2021

Talk about slow??? - 80%

Briman72, August 19th, 2020

I first discovered this band a few years back by looking for some extremely sick doom that was slower than molasses. And these guys take the cake for slow...just listen to their 2nd album 'Sub Templum' and you'll hear how nauseatingly slow that album is. This Ep however is a tiny bit up tempo from the band's earlier releases. There's 3 songs that are 10 to 12 minutes long that's actually short for Moss. But actually it's better because the songs flow better and not dragged out for 35 minutes. Don't get me wrong I love long songs but there's a time to know when to end a song when you feel like it's dragging on endlessly.

The title track is probably my favorite song on this Ep because it's got the catchiest riff that is really good. But after 5 minutes the song goes into this drone for the rest of the time and that's where it drags. That was a bit disappointing but the song is still great. The singer has a bleak sounding black metal vocal that fits nicely. He sounds really harsh I think it fits the atmosphere very well. This is not for everyone just so you know...don't expect any melodic parts or intricate parts. This is riff based extremely slow doom that'll engulf you in it's misery. Simple riffs that really hit with that intention of overwhelming you with feedback and drone.

They cover a Discharge song which is quite unexpected but still it's done in their style which is actually good. That's the shortest song on this Ep which is like 6 minutes...that's short considering they have songs that clock in at 20 to 40 minutes on their other releases. This recording is harsh but it actually sounds full even without a bass guitar. I was surprised by that...a lot of times you need to have some low end to a recording to not make it so trebly. Very primitive though which is good for their style. It doesn't sound like it was even mixed...maybe it wasn't I don't know. But its grimy and unpolished just as it was intended to be.

If you like extremely slow melancholic doom with black metal vocals this is what the doctor ordered. This is a great Ep and it's worth getting if you want to be smothered in doom and gloom. If you thought bands like Grief and Corrupted were slow this band goes slower than them a lot of times...pretty crazy if you think about it.

DOOOOM - 74%

Daemonlord, July 12th, 2011

People love to label, especially when it comes to music. Within the metal scene in particular people love to discuss and argue over sub-genres. At any one time, message boards and forums the world over are literally packed full of philodoxes at loggerheads with each other over genres. Now, out of all the sub-genres, the one that has been generally tickled least by the moist finger of commercialism (well, in my opinion anyway) has been doom. In the world of doom, especially the extreme end, the similarities between certain ‘styles’ are so close, that often people’s opinions come down to such things as the music’s tempo to distinguish the droners from the funeral-esque.

This brings me on to Moss, a band most UK extreme doom enthusiasts will have come across at one point or another. Some call them drone, others call them funeral doom, some even call them doom/death. Personally, I think they’ve pretty much covered all those bases throughout their career, with a (un)healthy dose of filthy sludge slopped in here and there. Whatever you want to call them, you’d have to be a complete moron to not call them extreme. ‘Tomb of the Blind Drugged’ compiles two of their latest vinyl E.Ps onto CD, with a bonus Discharge cover tacked on to make a juicy 4 track package, packed full of crushing down-tuned extreme doom.

Whilst the material here doesn’t quite outshine either of their two full length records, the guitars still crash together with that same awe inspiring boom (which is even more impressive when you consider their line up doesn’t contain a bass guitarist). Chords shiver with feedback and over-saturated sludgy distortion throughout. Olly Pearson’s vocals are akin to the sound a skinned man would make if he were thrown head first into the sea, which when backed up with Chris Chantler’s solid drawn out drum work helps to compact their powerful aura further into your psyche along with their claustrophobic riffage.

The final track is the Discharge cover of “Maimed and Slaughtered”, but it certainly doesn’t sound like the Discharge version at all – Moss have certainly twisted it into their own devastatingly inimitable style. I much prefer this take on covers too, I don’t care for a band doing the exact same thing as the band they’re covering did originally. Whilst this isn’t as essential to your average doomsters collection as say, “Chtonic Rites”, it certainly serves as a great stop-gap release whilst everyone waits for their next full length. Dense and feverish, this is a great compilation of doom extremity.

Originally written for www.metalteamuk.net

"Serpent's tongue!!" - 75%

almightyjoey, December 12th, 2009

Tombs of the Blind Drugged is an amazing little EP. It was my first forray into the subterranean realms of Moss, and to be honest, I'm glad I started here. Comparing it to their other records, it's a lot more "controlled", I feel. For example, looking at their numerous splits, and two previous full-length albums, you can see this EP/Mini-album holds shorter tracks, that don't seem to go on too long. I'm not criticizing the length of their older stuff, but if someone was to recommend a 40-minute song to someone to get into a band, chances are they would be a little threatened by it. The production is also a hell of a lot more controlled and professional-sounding than, say, Protected By The Ejaculation Of Wolves. The production on that worked wonderfully for the Skullflower-esque noise track on that album, but it kind of hindered the doom metal track's potential. Sub Templum had very nice production, but this one is even better. All of the instruments are crystal clear, and they are the same volume (apart from, of course, the parts where this needs to be changed around).

Anyway, the actual content is great. As usual, it's a short number of Moss's typical sludge/drone/doom sound, as well as bringing some form of 'concept album' theme, revolving around some form of parody/reference/homage to the old Tombs of the Blind Dead movie series (previously mentioned by the likes of Cathedral). I also think that Moss realized that there was only so many places they could take their sound, so have included things like an organ solo played by vocalist Olly, as well as some whammy bar-injected feedback sections, as well as, most infamously, a hidden cover of hardcore punk band Discharge's "Maimed and Slaughtered". These things are excellent, looking at the EP on a whole, but kind of make you wonder where the band are going to go in future, and if they'll completely abandon their old sound, searching for gimmicks to help keep their sound fresh.

But, like I said, the EP on a whole is fantastic. The Discharged cover works amazingly well, considering I didn't even know it was on there, since it's not on the track listing, and the third track has a 2-minute silence towards the end (which sadly, detracts some points from the overall review, as it's a pet peeve of mine). Considering the original is on for just over a minute, this 6 minute version never sounds old, or too stretched out. It is also very true to the band's style, and could have easily been their song (Apart from the lyrics, anyway). The EP also has Eternal Return, which, thanks to the repeated line "Serpent's tongue!" and the repetetive riff, manages to be one of the band's most catchiest tracks, and easily a favourite. Doom fans can make their own mind up whether a catchy doom track is a good thing, however.

Recommended.