© 2002-2022

Morvigor > Tyrant > Reviews
Morvigor - Tyrant

Blood of the Pelican - 80%

dismember_marcin, February 17th, 2018

Couple of weeks ago I was contacted by a band called Morvigor and asked if I would like to review their recently released album "Tyrant". Because I never heard of this band before, I decided to check one song first before giving them an answer. But this one song was enough for me to decide and say "yes". Finally one day a nice, professionally printed, yet self-released, digipak arrived... and I have to say that I've been playing "Tyrant" at least twenty times or even more and I really, really enjoy this album. This is just very good stuff and a very pleasant surprise, especially because it came from a completely unknown band and - judging by the photographs - rather young musicians. But I like such tasty surprises!

What Morvigor plays is some sort of black metal hybrid, strongly mixed with melodic death metal and even in few parts like the fantastic "Blood of the Pelican" with post metal. Not sure, if in this case the word "Pelican" is accidental or not though haha (to those, who have no idea - Pelican are one of the best bands, who play instrumental post rock / metal; fantastic band). Well, on "Tyrant" it feels like every song is a surprise and brings something different. Four tracks are kind of instrumental passages, which glue everything together, so it even feels like you've been listening to one, 47 minutes long song. Another four tracks are much longer (the mentioned "Blood of the Pelican" is almost 16 minutes long!) and as I already said, each is just different.

"No Repentance" is probably the most aggressive and angry track, it has nice vicious feel, even some blasting sections, so it's just a hard kick. Yet it can also surprise with the clean vocals section, so it's nicely varied and composed. It smoothly calms down for "The Martyr's Ascension" to come. This song begins with a sort of melancholic passage, which quickly builds the atmosphere and half way through the song opens the door to quite melodic and easily listenable, almost catchy black / death metal, played in slightly Swedish vein. "Blood of the Pelican", which I already mentioned twice in this review, is a fantastic journey, which really sounds like post metal piece in the opening part - and I have to say that I love the playing which this song starts with. It's very atmospheric, slightly sorrowful maybe, but damn... it sounds so good. But all of a sudden, this song transforms into killer black metal, which personally reminds me some of the recent Helheim albums. Great cold, vicious playing, very good riffs, arrangements and vocals. Definitely a superb song and the most impressive part of "Tyrant". Finally the title track concludes everything... very similar to "No Repentance", also sometimes blasting like crazy, also with some clean vocals (which almost sound like Vortex from Borknagar!)... it's almost a twin brother to the first song. And a fine ending to the whole album.

Yeah... I can say anything, but not that Morvigor plays orthodox and conventional black / death metal. They may not be the most original band on the planet, yet they have great idea for their music and talent to compose it. This album surprised me a lot, impressed even more... and well, I can only speak in super positive words about it.

Standout track: "Blood of the Pelican"
Verdict: 80/100

Channeling Synthesis - 76%

TheStormIRide, December 31st, 2017

Tyrant is the second full length album from Dutch progressive/melodic black metal outfit Morvigor. Despite hailing from the Netherlands, Morvigor’s sound is heavily saturated with an old school Swedish sound; though, admittedly, Morvigor does put their own, erm, unique spin on things. Regardless, Tyrant clocks in at forty-seven minutes over eight tracks (four of which are intro/interlude/outro), so one should assume Morvigor isn’t delivering your standard, everyday Dissection worship.

The album kicks off with a fairly innocuous introduction, before delivering strange, off-key guitar picking and one hell of a sloppy, punk-ish riff. It’s a terrible start to the album, honestly, because the first three minutes go absolutely nowhere. Fortunately, things kick into high gear from out of nowhere, with a feisty, almost rollicking beat taken from the Carpathian Forest wave of black metal which merges into extremely punchy and catchy thrash-tinged riffs a la Old Man’s Child which eventually merges into a melodically charged Swedish black metal sound. Morvigor churns through these base elements during the proper songs, with some pretty cool, meaty riffing (listen to the circular pattern during “The Martyr’s Ascension”), though the momentum is occasionally lost during the strange, often-meandering interludes.

While one can appreciate that Morvigor was attempting to do something different, the slow building intros and atmospheric sludge inspired percussion at the beginning of the monolithic “Blood of the Pelican”, some movements often sound like the band was trying to pound a square peg into a round hole (though that crusty, Nox Vomica-tinged bit that starts about five and half minutes is tasty). The intros and interludes give way to some stellar riffing and really cool melodic black metal, but sitting through Neurosis-length introductions to hear it can be tiresome at best. Thankfully, the band always comes back to riff-centric, melodic black metal, which is, frankly, what they’re best at.

It’s hard to look at an album like Tyrant in a linear fashion. Sure, this album fits best somewhere in the melodic black metal camp, but the band’s frequent jaunts into progressive-ish rock tinged, gargantuan length intros, off-key passages and offbeat nature push Morvigor into the fringes outright weirdness. While one can appreciate that Morvigor wanted to push the boundaries a bit, perhaps trimming the fat might have resulted into a more powerful album. Regardless, the band’s ability to constantly shift gears and keep a fifteen minute black metal track interesting is certainly commendable. The black metal contained within is really, really cool; it just requires some patience and some digging, so grab a shovel because this could be a long ride.

Written for The Metal Observer.