© 2002-2017

Trust me, you'll love this - 82%

Daemonlord, July 12th, 2011

Before even hearing a note of this album, I already pretty certain I was going to enjoy it immensely. This was due to the fact I read that Mortuus Infradaemoni has former members of Germany’s excellent Lunar Aurora – a band that I’ve had many hours of musical joy from, as well as actually managing to hear a few snippets of their debut album ‘Daemon Qui Fecit Terram’ a while back. Also, the fact that it’s on Cold Dimensions was also a huge pointer, as for me, they’re undoubtedly one of the best labels for high quality black metal these days.

Luckily my instincts served me well, and thankfully Mortuus Infradaemoni didn’t succumb to the ‘difficult’ 2nd album syndrome with ‘Imis Avernis’ that many a band do. The entire album is deeply ingrained with a bleak, grim fortitude that powers on continuously via hypnotically repetitive riffs, inescapable drum bombardment and gravelly echoing vocal trauma. The guitars interweave a melody-tinged hiss throughout the album, slithering over one another like eels to form songs that grab your attention through sheer brilliance of crafting. There is no sign of filler here, every note and nuance has been perfectly placed to create an authoritative album that overshadows your day with musical impact. Although cold and calculated, it’s meticulously played and wrapped in a great production job – proving that you don’t have to sound like you’ve recorded the album down a telephone line to keep a large level of ‘trueness’ (just think latter-day Deathspell Omega, Merrimack or Antaeus to add further evidence to that statement).

It’s great to see that the malevolent flame of the black metal underground continues to burn even stronger than ever when bands like Mortuus Infradaemoni come your way. For those whose jaded ears may be questioning the longevity of the genre amongst these days of bedroom one-man bands that release umpteen worthless demos every month, Mortuus Infradaemoni are an elixir from the dark side to rejuvenate even the most devoted of naysayers.

Originally written for www.metalteamuk.net