© 2002-2017

Trust me, you'll love this - 82%

Daemonlord, July 12th, 2011

Before even hearing a note of this album, I already pretty certain I was going to enjoy it immensely. This was due to the fact I read that Mortuus Infradaemoni has former members of Germany’s excellent Lunar Aurora – a band that I’ve had many hours of musical joy from, as well as actually managing to hear a few snippets of their debut album ‘Daemon Qui Fecit Terram’ a while back. Also, the fact that it’s on Cold Dimensions was also a huge pointer, as for me, they’re undoubtedly one of the best labels for high quality black metal these days.

Luckily my instincts served me well, and thankfully Mortuus Infradaemoni didn’t succumb to the ‘difficult’ 2nd album syndrome with ‘Imis Avernis’ that many a band do. The entire album is deeply ingrained with a bleak, grim fortitude that powers on continuously via hypnotically repetitive riffs, inescapable drum bombardment and gravelly echoing vocal trauma. The guitars interweave a melody-tinged hiss throughout the album, slithering over one another like eels to form songs that grab your attention through sheer brilliance of crafting. There is no sign of filler here, every note and nuance has been perfectly placed to create an authoritative album that overshadows your day with musical impact. Although cold and calculated, it’s meticulously played and wrapped in a great production job – proving that you don’t have to sound like you’ve recorded the album down a telephone line to keep a large level of ‘trueness’ (just think latter-day Deathspell Omega, Merrimack or Antaeus to add further evidence to that statement).

It’s great to see that the malevolent flame of the black metal underground continues to burn even stronger than ever when bands like Mortuus Infradaemoni come your way. For those whose jaded ears may be questioning the longevity of the genre amongst these days of bedroom one-man bands that release umpteen worthless demos every month, Mortuus Infradaemoni are an elixir from the dark side to rejuvenate even the most devoted of naysayers.

Originally written for www.metalteamuk.net

Bare bones, savage strategy - 60%

autothrall, November 9th, 2009

The band totally had me at the cover art here, for I truly love to stare at labyrinthine abyssal cityscapes while I am listening to black metal, dark ambient and other forms of 'extremity'. It all goes back to sessions of Into the Pandemonium worship for me. So I admit that it may have prepped me up for something more atmospheric than the rather bare bones, savage strategy at play.

Mortuus Infradaemoni are a German black metal band and they play a lot like many of their peers: straightforward, with no perks or gimmicks, black metal in the vein of Mayhem, Dark Funeral and others who keep it real. There are only two members of the band, Nathaniel and Profanatitas, both formerly of fellow Germans Lunar Aurora. The tracks seem to alternate between very mundane and dull, to face-shredding misanthropic purism. For example, first track "Obscuritas Ubique Et In Aeternum" barrels through almost 10 minutes of blast beat/speed picked repetition without ever truly invoking any ferocity. Yet "Darkland", not much different in style, is more effective with its haunting sneers and a few subtle chord shifts which flayed my flesh clean. "Imis Avernis", the title track, centers on some slower chug riff that aren't very good, and doesn't get much better even when it picks up speed. "Bastard" and "Merihim" deliver a pure photocopier black metal beatdown, moving at rapid pace and reminiscent of much of the loyaly to its core influences that perpetuated much of the mid to late 90s scene. "Der Tod" is another devastator.

The album's sound is effectively raw and the band certainly comes across as a horde of savage barbarians who take no compromise as they offer libations to the occult. There aren't any real surprise riffs that come out and snag you, the entire effort is quite predictable but this is not always a bad thing. I can't recall the band's previous album in order to make any comparisons, but I can only recommend this to fans of 100% straightforward black metal of the grimmest, no hope variety.

-autothrall