© 2002-2017

SALVATION NEVER COMES!! - 80%

HUGODARTH, August 12th, 2017
Written based on this version: 2014, CD, Metal Scrap Records

Mortis Dei is one of many death metal bands that came out from the Polish lands during late 80's - early 90's and one of the few that is still active. And by being active I mean: recording music, playing gigs and keeping the furious spirit alive.

This band is not really well known and I also don't know much about them, but I'd like to introduce them a little by saying that the history of Mortis Dei starts in 1992 (in Bydgoszcz) and from the beginning they have self-released some demos and 3 full-lengths (material that is difficult/impossible to get) until the year 2014, when they finally released via Sepulcros Prod. a compilation album called Two Decades of Anger (containing most of their previous material) and this album here, called Salvation Never Comes released by Metal Scrap Records.

From album to album the band has experienced different approaches to death metal. Mortis Dei has been old school, melodic, modern, technical, etc. but always playing uncompromised and violent death metal. Something noticeable that can be found in every album is the solid, fast and powerful bass+drums base of the songs. Mostly because, as far as I know, bass player Grzegorz and drummer Maciej have been playing together from the very beginning (or almost) of the band and they make a good teamwork by giving to the band the necessary amount of heaviness and aggression required to play death metal.

The music of Salvation Never Comes consists of fast, technical and inconstant death metal. There are super fast blast beats, melodic guitar solos (sometimes excessively many), heavy and technical riffs, mid-tempo moments and lots of good growls. Its a convulsed album that cannot be understood quickly... many things are happening through these 30 minutes. But despite its complexity, everything is well combined and songs have a coherent structure, so it turns out to be very enjoyable. Some riffs are very thrashy and its impossible not to headbang! Luckily the production is very good and every instrument can be heard clearly, enjoyed and analyzed.

I think these guys have accomplished making a version of death metal that is melodic and brutal at the same time. But Salvation Never Comes simply cannot be labeled. You should check it for yourself. I can only say that it's a very good and diverse album with spectacular musicianship and constant destructiveness!