Funk? Yes. Thrash? Yes. Kick Ass? Hell Yeah! - 90%

Wacke, May 2nd, 2008

In 1989, Californian thrash act Mordred released their debut "Fool's Game" which was almost a pure thrash metal album with small touches of funk here and there. It wasn't until they released their second album "In This Life" that they showed what they're really about. "In This Life" is a groundbreaking album that combinates funk rock and thrash metal which at the time was two popular genres in rock music. Anthrax did their thing with Public Enemy in 1991 when they released the rap metal classic "Bring The Noise" and Mordred's music reminds pretty much of that thing. It's like "Bring The Noise" taken to the next level where it meets Faith No More and Red Hot Chili Peppers.

"In This Life" are built on eleven tracks which all are great in their own ways and I like 'em all. "No fillers, only killers" as spoken about a good album. The title track focuses heavily on rap metal since the vocals are rapping all the way through along with some excellent riffing. "Larger Than Life" is one less funk-oriented song which is pretty heavy-oriented instead but features some really cool stratch effects that leads my mind to Faith No More's live versions of "We Care A Lot" that they did between 1989-1992. "Falling Away" is probably the best reason to listen to this album. It was the biggest hit from the album and also the song that made me love Mordred. Another three tracks worth mentioning are "Progress" which probably is the thrashiest song on this album and the other two are "Downtown" and "Esse Quim Videri". The last two are very funky and the latter is even a touch of hip hop. The remaing tracks are all nice funky thrash killers.

The production is good. Actually, it's about 90-92 % as I want it. They only thing I can complain about is the lack of bouncing bass. If you listen to Faith No More's "Falling To Pieces" or Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Higher Ground" you'll hear how the bass makes the ground bounce. The bass here sounds very similar but it's to thin compared to them if theirs are "fat". The most important thing of all though, that is the balance between every instrument and they are balanced.

The cast is awesome. We got some really experienced musicians here. Not the best ones in history but they're good and most of all, they know what they're doing. Singer Scott Holderby sounds a lot like how Mike Patton sounded on Faith No More's "The Real Thing" album and he's probably very influenced by the almighty Mike Patton. Actually, the most of the music are very similar to the music FNM did on "The Real Thing" but it's main ground are thrash metal beneath the FNM influence. The guitarists are doing a great job with the solos. If you're a solo lover you'll find some nice ear candy here.

So finally to my last comments on "In This Life"...

The album's tracks are all very good but my personal recommendments would be "Falling Away", "Larger Than Life", "Window", "Progress" and "Killing Time".

One thing that's weird is the fact why they didn't put "Lion's Den" from the "Falling Away" EP on the album. That's a really great song and probably my second favorite Mordred song overall.

My final rating is 90/100. It lacks a bouncing bass which is sad because the bass sounds really good. The other thing is the missing of "Lion's Den". Nothing else as I can think of right now so feel free to give "In This Life" a fair change.