© 2002-2021

Well, not bad! - 86%

CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8, March 5th, 2009

I heard so many things regarding this band and this album that I decided to buy it. Since I found the LP version for a decent price (I didn’t want to risk), I immediately grabbed this opportunity. I heard so many things about this band’s ability in mixing the classic thrash metal to the funk that I was very curious but also quite “scared”, or simply sceptical at the same time. We all know how far metal could go with some influences at times and this can be a truly risky business.

However, since the opener “State of Mind”, we can enjoy a pure form of the classic thrash metal the way it was done at the end of the 80s, so with a technical progression and truly crunchy riffs. The vocals are standard ones and always quite clean. The pace is quite fast and it supports lots of galloping riffs. So far it’s great. At least now I know that they can thrash in a perfect way. The following “Spectacle of Fear” can be seen as a “more of the same” track but this time the general tempo is less fast, pointing on the articulated riffage. With “Every Day’s Holiday” the very first funk influences invade the sound for the pulsing bass and the various stop and go. The riffs are always heavy but the vocals are “happier” and the choirs are not thrash.

“Spellbound” takes the thrash road again and this is better. The tempo is not that fast and the groove influences come out. They were typical for thrash during that period. The riffs are always various and catchy, without losing anything in heaviness and impact. Few fast restarts are remarkable too, so they can support the faster guitars solos. “Sever and Splice” follows the same tempo and the choirs are always well-recognizable thanks to the use of some gang vocals. We finish the side A this way and so far I can say that this band hasn’t let me down.

“The Artist” opens the side B and shows quite evident NWOBHM influences for the guitars duets before settling down on a quite massive progression with few up tempo sections to add more dynamism. Once again, the galloping riffs sections are the best here. “Shatter” features a truly dark intro with solos and an apocalyptic touch before the classic mid-paced structure comes out. It’s good to notice that, even if the structures are not completely fast, they are always able to be capturing and never dull. They have good ideas and the riffs are always inspired. “Reckless Abandon” follows again a more mid-paced progression but it manages to be always quite fluid.

With “Super Freak” we can notice the return of the funk influences with evident “You Can’t Touch This” interludes. Fortunately, it lasts just for two minutes, leaving us with “Numb” to close this album. The dark introduction is more melodic for the guitars solos but the restart is just blowing to return to very good levels of nastiness. Well, all things considered I would like to recommend this album to anyone who loves thrash metal because the funk elements can be found just in two cases and the rest can be enjoyable for the old-school fans. Well, at least I didn’t waste my money.