© 2002-2022

Mordgrund > Omnia Intereunt > Reviews
Mordgrund - Omnia Intereunt

Mordgrund - Omnia intereunt - 75%

Phuling, July 26th, 2011

Mordgrund have passed my radar undetected with their three previous releases (a demo, an EP and a split EP). From what I understand the releases have been pretty well-received, as well as Omnia intereunt has. Black Devastation once again introduces me to another gem of the German underground, and it seems they’ve got an endless supply of black metal acts popping up all over the country.

This is the debut fullength by Mordgrund, and in all honesty I didn’t find it all that interesting at first. The initial four or five spins didn’t do anything for me, and it wasn’t until I woke up well-rested one afternoon (yup, I said afternoon) and decided to give it another go that I started noticing the quality and nuances of the album. There’s something about it that sounds just so freakishly innately German, and not ‘cause of the much enunciated vocals, but also plain musical aspects causes it to feel very German. While it’s of a quite old school recipe there’s definitely not a lack of melodies, and there seems to have really been a focus on good riffs, varied song structures and drum patterns as well as nuances in the music, which gives it a very worked-through and high-class feel.

The song structures definitely vary in progression, and while some tracks go at it in a rampage of different blasting tempos, others might creep up on you in a slow and eerie mode while some will just throw everything into the wind. Drum-wise it’s extremely varied, and not set in either über-blast all the way through or an annoying two-beat-a-minute tempo (like some of the depressive black metal acts seem to think is enough to make their half-arsed tunes interesting). Within the slow, mid tempo and fast sections there is a lot of variety in both patterns and paces, which keeps everything interesting, and they never hit a stalemate of repetition. So the drumming definitely gets an A. As far as the riffing goes the lads have some nuances there as well, albeit perhaps not as many as in the drum department. It’s quite melody-driven with loads of guitar lines, but also with a general set of high-quality riffs. It’s atmospherically delivered, and some lines are spooky while others are just fierce. Take for instance Lethargia, a melancholic track with loads of eeriness and emotions, whereas the title-track is aggressive and violent right from the get go.

The vocals are harshly barked, and as I mentioned before the vocalist enunciates in a very prominent way, giving it a pissed-off feel. I don’t know much German, and I’d never be able to follow the lyrics, but he sounds genuinely angry, cursing everyone and everything around him. The production is pretty standard, I’d say; cold and semi-clean. It works, but I wouldn’t mind a little more audible bass. All in all it’s a good album, but not a masterpiece. I think they can do even better, delivering an album that is just as nuanced in the vocal department as well, seeing as they offer both a background growl and some form of drunken clean howl in Todessehnsucht, so I know they’ve got it in them.

Originally written for My Last Chapter