© 2002-2021

Very impressive "follow-up" - 88%

Dragunov, May 17th, 2005

Well, here we have the completely fucking awesome follow-up album to Spectrum of Death, which will completely obliterate the remains of our necks that the previous album left behind. Well, sorta. It's like an album, but it's got the bottom-of-the-line mixing and production values that a demo has (You can even hear someone stop the recording after the song is over).

Quite a head-scratcher. Let's call it an "almo" (album + demo, not the furry Sesame Street character).

The only part I'm completely sure about is that this almo is here to wreck your neck much like Spectrum of Death did. The production, as I mentioned earlier, isn't as good as SoD. The volume is pretty low, and at times you'll have to really listen in to here the riffs. The vocals are mixed about right though. Pat Lind's performance isn't as great as it was before, but it's still top-notch.

The classic Morbid Saint riff structure is back, with the heavy mid-paced parts really shining through on this almo. The fast parts totally shred you to bits as well. They're catchy, yet thrashtacularly brutal at the same time! Check out the part at about 2:33 in "Living Misery"; it's like fishing. The riff before it is catchy and lures you in, then the 2:33 part comes and you suddenly find yourself on a hook, gutted, and sold to a fish market in China for a half of a penny. Fuck yes. The opening riffs to each song make sure you stick around and listen too (except for "Darkness Unseen" and "Disciples of Discipline, those songs start off with clean guitar parts). Not much more to say about the riffs, as they're all good and written in the same vein as the SoD ones; some much more cooler than others.

The drumming on this album is In-cred-a-ble. So fast and enticing, and weird beats are to be found here too (check out the part at 0:17 in Halls of Terror, the timing of the snare drum is abnormal, yet goes along with the riff solidly). The 2x bass beats are also wicked fast, yet in-time with the guitars. The drummer doesn't sound like he's trying to catch up with the guitarists. I think Lee Reynolds is one hell of drummer, and he could definately give Flo or Pete Sandoval a run for their money.

I like this whole almo, but three tracks that stand out the most are Darkness Unseen, Final Exit, and Halls of Terror. This is definately a worthy successor to Spectrum of Death.

/almo review