Magnum opus - 96%

All4Me, April 15th, 2016
Written based on this version: 2008, CD, Drakkar Records (Reissue)

Moonsorrow's new album "Jumalten aika" was released a while ago and yesterday I couldn't resist it anymore and finally ended up buying it. I've listened it through once now and it sounds alright. Of course, much can't be said after just one listen. Anyways, I wanted to immerse in the band's world to get in the right mood for embracing the new album. Maybe writing a review of some of their earlier album is a decent way for it. So here we go.

"Verisäkeet" might be the best Moonsorrow album this far. What, I already said that? Umm...spoiler alert? Ok, whatever. The album is near perfect in both musical and structural way. Every song of the five have a lot to love. There are awesome melodies, choir sequences and guitar licks all over. Just check "Jotunheim" at 9 minutes. All kinds of hooks. Where there are no hooks, there you will find a wall of sound and screams that would make my throat bleed if I tried to repeat it. That's great too, you know. The darkness here is very comprehensive.

On "Verisäkeet" Moonsorrow's sound turned darker again, indeed. That really worked out and on this album the folk stuff and black metal-ish darkness are in perfect balance. I can clearly hear these folk instruments throughout the album adding their own awesomeness on the sound. There are also many great folk instrument interludes and nature sounds, letting the listener take a little break of the hellish wall of sound. Nice contrasts too, you know. The listener is given time to breathe and love peace and quiet too. I hope that some day Moonsorrow makes an album dedicated to dark folk music in it's entirety. Probably not, though. At least we got Wardruna.

Another interesting thing for me here is that - during the first four songs (the main contents of the album) - it seems like every song is a little better than the previous one. Still, all of the songs are really great. After the fourth song, 'Joutunheim' the listener gets to enjoy around ten minutes of campfire sounds and a campfire song, 'Kaiku'. A perfect ending. One time listening to the outro, I almost started to cry when thinking about all my camping memories and the feeling of sitting next to a campfire alone in the night. It's one of the best feelings I know, really. Man, I wanna go camping!