© 2002-2020

a fun bit of blasphemy - 71%

Noktorn, May 8th, 2011

The inlay of this little demo has a pretty goofy little story to go along with the music. 'Gotteslästerung' is dotted with bits of spoken word, apparently taken from a Christian sermon tape that the band members found in a telephone booth. Amidst all the typical chatter about 'Christian pigs' and such, the band suggests that all the recording against the spoken word is coincidental- stopping and starting the sermon tape at random intervals to record little samples and just diving into the music, which was ostensibly written immediately in conjunction with the sermon tape.

I don't believe much of it, honestly. I don't think people are really cool enough to do stuff like that anymore. It's still a fun story though.

Misanthropy takes after early Beherit, I guess: a pretty droning, perpetually blasting drum machine with looping tremolo riffs (alternately dissonant and somewhat hellishly melodic ala related project Kerberos) and growling, shrieking vocals. The main instrument of this release is really the bass- not the bass guitar, but just the propulsive, lurking bass area of the soundwaves of these songs, where the ugly, smothered guitar tone meets the bass drums which are borderline subsonic. The riffs are nothing to write home about which leaves the vocals as the leading instrument, and they're pretty wonderful: unhinged, distorted, and in possession of an appropriate level of animosity towards life and religion.

I can't suggest that Misanthropy really does anything too far removed from the standard raw black metal paradigm, but I've always considered this particular little niche of black metal to be more about attitude than anything, and Misanthropy has that in spades. There's a fiendishly youthful and enthusiastic quality to these songs that makes it a lot more memorable and entertaining than it ordinarily would if simply taken on its own. The perpetual samples from the sermon give this a pretty wonderfully juvenile feel (and I mean this in the best way possible): these guys clearly wanted to do something absurdly blasphemous and raw, and the fact that the songwriting itself isn't a tragedy makes for something that you can actually listen to more than once and appreciate.

This is about as good as two-riff, drum machine, CDr raw black metal gets, so check it out.